Visiting Park City - Olympic Ski Jumping 2002 & Bonneville Salt Flats


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Park City
June 26th 2013
Published: June 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

June 26, 2013 When Looking a Pictures don't forget to select all pages - there are 52 pictures

Last day at Salt Lake City:

Today we headed out for the Olympic Park, built for the 2002 Olympics. What fun and interesting things to see. They have training there year round and when there’s no snow, they use an astro turf type surface on the ski jumps and wet it down, which makes it real slick. We were able to see some of the practicing on the jumps. Our tour took us up to the top of the ski jumps and we don’t see how anyone has the nerve to jump out that high up! Kudos to the athletes! After the tour and a look at the museum and the venue for the Luge , we headed to Park City. The Moguls were held there during the Olympics and Park City is a cute, little town with many fun ‘Mom and Pop’ stores and lots of art galleries. They even have trolley cars that you can ride for free. Another fun experience today! We’ve really enjoyed the SLC area.

The tree next to our trailer is a Chanticleer Pear tree. We have Bradford Pears at home, and they look quite similar, same leaf shape, etc.

Query: Why did we see lots of sea gulls around the Great Salt Lake? There are no fish, that we know of in that lake? Anyone have any idea?

Tomorrow we head to Winnemucca, in Northwest Nevada, just East of Reno. A longer traveling day of 350 miles.

June 27, 2013

First day at Winnemucca, NV:

Off we go to Nevada; head out early since it will be a long day, at least it will be longer than we’re used to. Bye bye to the Rockies and to the Great Salt Lake. Enjoyed it all.

Passing the Bonneville Flats. A great place to stop and fill a container with salt for the grands.

Enter Nevada at 10:00 – oh whoops, here we go again, it’s 9:00 PDT!!! Now we’re 3 hrs. behind for a long time.

In and out of the basins – up the mountain, down into a basin, up a mountain, down into a basin, for many miles. This is the Great Basin area though.

Arrive our campground at 3:30 PDT. Two nights here this time, then off to Cali.!


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th June 2013

All new to me...
Wow! You could break your neck on those jumps! I agree...no nerve here, even imagining them makes me quiver! SLC has sure changed since I was there in 1967!
28th June 2013

heights!!
Golly those are high jumps!!
28th June 2013

You mean you didn't even try to go down the ski jump? ha ha. It does make you wonder why anyone would do that. But then, why would anyone want to walk across the grand canyon on a wire? Marv and I skied Park City several times and, yes, it is a fun place.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb