The Weather Gods Smile on Us


Advertisement
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Utah inspires the artist in all of us. There was a heavy rain the day before was came through. It made the reds in the rock formations even more vibrant. On a day of 368 miles driving, we managed to see Lake Powell, Natural Bridges Natl Monument and Capital Reef National Park. Incredible!

The first stop was Natural Bridges National Monument. The Bridges differ from arches because they are caused by the erosive action of moving water. Arches are caused by other erosive forces such as frost and seepage. There are three bridges in the Park with several great viewpoints.

Off we go to Lake Powell. We stopped at the Bridge, and then later way above the Bridge for a better view. Lake Powell is the second largest man-made reservoir in the US. It was created when the Glen Canyon dam flooded the Glen Canyon. You can travel 100 miles on Lake Powell, just ask Jack and Yolanda. Their boat once ran out of gas on Lake Powell. We took some great group photos here. Look out for Ed!

Last stop for the day, just outside Torrey UT was Capital Reef National Park. It was really spectacular. There
BridgeBridgeBridge

Lake Powell
had been heavy rains and flash flooding not long before we got there. There was debris on the side of the road and the streams were running deep with red clay water. The formations jumped right out at you! Incredible! I had never heard of this area and I was completely awed by the shear beauty.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

FloodwatersFloodwaters
Floodwaters

Capital Reef NP
Navajo DomeNavajo Dome
Navajo Dome

Capital Reef NP


Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb