Royal Gorge and Black Canyon of the Gunnison


Advertisement
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful drive into Canon City and onto the Royal Gorge. The Royal Gorge features one of the world's highest suspension Bridges. We took the tram across the Bridge and also walked over the Bridge. The Bridge was built in 1929 for a cost of $350,000. Something that couldn't even be done today because of economic impact studies and the cost of materials. Plus, it was built totally as a tourist attraction.Several of the cars drove over the Bridge.
We also took the incline railway down the side of the gorge to the bottom and the Arkansas River. There is a great view from the railway. It is amazing to see the span of the Bridge from the bottom. I do much better looking at the Bridge from the river up to the Bridge, rather than the Bridge , 955 feet down to the water. The park had a nice animal park with 3 white Buffalo, very rare.

Back on the road and on to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. We rode along the Arkansas River, then we started to climb... Monarch Pass at 11,312 ft, plus a couple over 9,000 ft.. Add sharp turns, beautiful rivers ( with
Don't JumpDon't JumpDon't Jump

Royal Gorge
lots of people fly fishing) and incredible views! It's why Colorado is so Beautiful. I was amazed how many wildflowers were still in bloom. We had been in the Gunnison area several years ago on a Jeep trip and it brought back great memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Incline RailwayIncline Railway
Incline Railway

Royal Gorge
Incline RailwayIncline Railway
Incline Railway

Royal Gorge
Royal GorgeRoyal Gorge
Royal Gorge

Royal Gorge


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb