Mesa Verde to Blanding , UT


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Double Tower at Hovenweep NMDouble Tower at Hovenweep NMDouble Tower at Hovenweep NM

One of several buildings visible from the Visitors Center observation point.
Today we tried to go to Yucca House NM - - Turns out it was made a NM in 1919, but it is just several piles of rubble with no facilities, not even a sign to locate it. So we made a U turn on US 160 and made for Hovenweep NM. It is a very small park but includes several sets of ancient indian houses/villages. We got passports stamped, walked to the easy to get to sites, and took a bunch of photos and then headed out to Natural Bridges NP. All back roads - - some better than others. The scenery though was uniformally beautiful. The natural bridges in the park (three of them that we could see from the over looks) are really impressive. Had to drive UT 95 34 miles in and 34 miles back out. It looks completely different coming out. Got to Blanding, UT about 5 PM and decided to call it a day. Tomorrow: Needles & Canyon Lands and spend the night in Moab, UT. The next day we'll go to Arches, NP and stay a 2d night in Moab. Then off to the north.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sipapu Natural BridgeSipapu Natural Bridge
Sipapu Natural Bridge

First bridge you come to on the observation loop at Natural Bridges NP
Kachina Natural BridgeKachina Natural Bridge
Kachina Natural Bridge

2nd bridge on the observation Loop
Owachomo BridgeOwachomo Bridge
Owachomo Bridge

3rd bridge on the observation loop
Deep Rock CutDeep Rock Cut
Deep Rock Cut

This is a deep cut into red sandstone on the Road between Blanding and Natural Bridges NP.


21st May 2010

Simply Beautiful
Very beautiful and very cool - natural bridges! It looks like you have some really great weather based on the photos. Hope you're enjoying yourself.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb