Capitol Reef NP


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Capitol Reef
August 7th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CRNPCRNPCRNP

We've finally started to take pictures of the actual entrance sign, instead of staging it later on.
The next stop on our trip was similar to Colorado National Monument, in that it was not a planned stop, but turned out to be a pleasant detour. Capitol Reef National Park is located on another Scenic Byway (SH24) between Arches and Bryce Canyon. (We opted out of visiting Canyonlands N.P, which is also in the vicinity.) Like the other National Parks in Utah, Capitol Reef has beautiful colored rocks, cliffs, and winding trails. However, the distinguishing geological feature of Capitol Reef is that it contains the Waterpocket Fold, which is a monocline. As I understand it, a monocline is a wrinkle in the earths crust that causes a ridge to form (a great definition, huh?, I don't really understand it, either). I was told that the cool thing about the one at Capitol Reef is that it is a 100 mile-long wrinkle. The unfortunate part about that is it is hard to see the whole scope of the monocline. I would assume that a tour from the air would be best. But there were other aspects to the park that added interest to our visit. Like the great homemade pies from the fresh fruit grown in the orchards. That's right;
CRNPCRNPCRNP

An awesome waterfall that Cody saw on our drive up the canyon. The rushing water is a result of all the recent rain we've been having.
there's a National Park that has pie!

Considering, that the night before was spent in a hotel parking lot, we were both tired and looking for an excuse to stop. The pie was reason enough; the fact that we could camp next to the pie made it even better. First things first: why are there fruit orchards at the bottom of a canyon in a NP? Thanks go to the Mormons (as you will soon see, the Mormons did a lot in Utah, imagine that). The first Mormons, in their Brigham Youngian quest, moved into the area around the late 1870s. There they found evidence of an earlier people who used to live in the area, known as the Fremont People. The Fremont People had lived in the canyon, growing crops and leaving evidence of their lives in the forms of petroglyphs, pictographs, and intricate clay figurines. This was Nickey's first up-close-and-personal, real-life experience with petroglyphs! The Mormons used the irrigation ditches dug by the Fremont People to plant fruit trees and other crops in the lush canyon floor, naming their settlement (aptly enough) Fruita.

While no longer a permanent settlement, the NPS has continued to maintain the
CRNPCRNPCRNP

There were a number of flash flood watches in effect while we were driving through Utah.
orchards and farmhouse as a living history site. While Cody didn't pick up any extra wives, he did get a delicious peach pie, and I ate my very own mixed berry pie. As has been the norm for our trip, the skies continued to rain and flash floods plagued the park, shutting down all of the scenic drives in the park. We decided to camp at the Fruita campground and actually get the tent up before dark, avoiding all ant hills. Next door to our campsite, there was an apple orchard, where deer grazed and ate apples off the ground. When the fruit is ripe and in season, you can pick your own for a small fee and eat as much as you want on-site for free. As luck would have it, we were smack dab in between seasons, and no fruit of any kind was ripe.

The next morning, we were up rather early and on the road to Bryce Canyon. Along the way, we came across a Utah State Park that we thought would be fun to stop at, since I didn't get to Mesa Verde 😞 Anasazi Indian State Park. The critics give it two thumbs
CRNPCRNPCRNP

Elijah Behunin was one of the first settlers in the area. He lived in this puny cabin with his wife and 8 kids. He also shows up later in Zion NP.
down. None of the audio-visual exhibits worked, the good stuff was hidden from the public, and they charged you $8 to get in. And it was puny. The only real artifacts to be seen were the burnt stubs of the houses that the Native Americans used to live in, along with their fire pits. After we left AISP, we drove over the "Million-Dollar Highway to Boulder" (Utah, not CO). This was amazing. Originally used as a postal route, this highway ran along the top of a ridge that must have been several hundred feet high, with drop-offs on either side. This led us through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Park, and eventually to Bryce Canyon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

CRNPCRNP
CRNP

Nickey's first petroglyph experience! According to her translation, the aliens want all of our big horn sheep and pronghorn to take to their leader. This is a rough translation due to the large missing section at the left.
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

The local Mormon settlement was known as Fruita, and the entire canyon is surprisingly fruitful, especially considering the surrounding desert.
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

Beginning as a large Mormon settlement, the canyon is filled with their original buildings. This was the schoolhouse used until 1941!
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

One of the many fruit orchards in Fruita. When in season, you can pick your own fruit!
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

As a part of the historical experience, the National Parks Service bakes fresh pies daily.
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

The Historic Gifford Farmhouse. Originally one of many farmsteads in the Fruita area, now maintained by the NPS.
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

The area of geological interest in the park. A very large canyon extends way back into the distance here, however, it was closed for obvious reasons (note the gray, stormy clouds spouting rain overhead).
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

Cody splitting wood to start our fire. Thank you Daniel for sharpening the Buck knife, you saved our lives!
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

The cliffs behind us, from our campsite.
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

Our humble, Fruita abode. Note the gourmet fare on the fire.
CRNPCRNP
CRNP

Ah, bonding time on the road. Cody has his headphones listening to XM while I have a CD turned on.
AISPAISP
AISP

One of the critics putting in his vote on AISP.
AISPAISP
AISP

Wow! Ancient Anasazi plywood! Definitely worth the entrance fee.
AISPAISP
AISP

Can't you feel the history. Look at those amazing fire pits. Wow, what neat burned logs. (It's thought that the Anasazi burned their homes themselves when they left, for whatever reason.)
AISPAISP
AISP

A reproduction of what a dwelling and storage room may have looked like back in the day (which was a Wednesday, by the way).
HighwayHighway
Highway

The Million-dollar Highway to Boulder. Huge drop-offs on either side. Pretty crazy to drive.
HighwayHighway
Highway

A huge canyon off the side of the road.
Oh My!Oh My!
Oh My!

Don't know if it's because of growing up in the mountains (and near them), but we notice things like this. (Needless to say we were a little worried.)


20th August 2008

Ahhh Wednesday
Ahh I love back in the day....which you are correct was Wednesday! Your trip is makin' me jealous....maybe you two will have to plan out a trip for Chad and I since you are experts! We miss you!!!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb