U.S. parks tour update.........


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Mexico but have sorted some stuff to update our USA trip! (-:

July 7th Jackson Hole, Wyoming
White water rafting on the Snake River. Both of us got thrown off, but what a laugh. This is a ski resort and it was strange for me to be there in summer.

8th Drove 300 miles to Vernal, Utah.
Mile after mile of desert, very much like Almeria .

9th 250 miles to Moab, Utah.
Mormon country…. Very strange rules about drinking….we went in a bar, sat at the bar and ordered a beer. Bar tender said we had to eat if we wanted to sit at the bar… but …. We could sit in the beer den… but…. We’re not allowed to carry our drinks the 10 feet to this specified area. We concentrated real hard to levitate the glasses, but to no avail. Eventually a guy with “Beer Delivery Guy” on the back of his t shirt came to our rescue.. Now safely in the Beer Den we ordered another round …. Unfortunately for me you can‘t drink Margharitas in the beer den….. So we went back to bar (followed by the Beer Delivery Guy with our glasses) and ordered 20 pence worth of corn chips to satisfy the rules. I then broke another rule… the bartender refused to give me another drink, when I asked why , she said I had to drink up as I couldn’t have 2 drinks at once…. But…. It’s OK to have several wives at once!!
They sell a beer called Polygamy Ale and you can buy Tshirts with slogans like “Why have just one!”

10th Arches and Canyonlands national parks.
Unbelievable scenery. Did lots of walking and rock scrambling. Slept in a cave… chipmonks or some other rodents gnawed through our bags and nicked all the M+Ms !

12th Another 200 miles to Boulder, Utah.
Stayed at a Horse Ranch. Riding was great fun. The horses were trained to steer by the weight of the reins laying on their necks…… I thought they were so used to the route that they’d take no notice of novice rider instructions but twice I managed to steer my trusty steed the opposite side of the rock or tree he intended to go.

14th Bryce Canyon next…100 miles.
The scenery just gets better….. Amazing orangey red rock formations called Hoodoos.

15th Zion 100 miles.
Hiked up to Angels Landing….. Long drop if you fall off… I couldn’t believe they let people climb up there… it’s pretty tricky. You have to hold on to chains on many sections as it’s so narrow. Temperature is going up!

17th Monument Valley Indian Reservation. 260 miles.
Jeep tour of all the sights and sunset over the Totem Pole. Had an Indian meal and then watched dancing round the campfire…. Was great fun… I can sing perfect Navajo !! And our Dino dancing was a big hit!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb