32nd Heritage Syrup Festival, Henderson, Texas USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
November 13th 2021
Published: November 17th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I drove into Henderson on South Main Street for a short easy walk to Heritage Square for the Syrup Festival. Just before reaching the festival secured area I reached the Howard-Dickinson House, built by the Howard brothers in 1855. The Howards were carpenters and brick masons. They were the major brick makers for the area, and many old homes and businesses standing today in Henderson were built with Howard bricks. Martha Howard was a cousin to Sam Houston, and President Houston visited there often.

I walked into the secured area (keeping the autos from the street festival people) and got to thr traffic light where the four Main Streets (North, South, East, and West) met at Heritage Square. There vendors were selling food, rides for children, tee shirts, crafts, nic-nacs, and lost of other stuff. There were several small bands providing live intertainment.

Walking on North Main Street from the Square, I passed many fine restored antique cars and trucks lining the street. When the owners were by their rides, they were happy to chat about their restorations. They had some Model A Fords and one valuable Model T Ford.

I walked on to the Depot Museum area with the Henderson Railroad Museum (now closed) and other old authentic buildings all moved to this site. There were many antique tractors in front. There were a number of exhibits that showed life and skills from the 1800s. The Jones Sawmill was operating cutting boards from tree logs. There was a mule walking a circle powering the gears of the sugar cane grinder that smashed the cane to release the sugar content. Nearby they had a large vat where they cooked down the sugar cane extract into cane syrup. Other exhibits were people making brooms, spinning yarn, and wood carvings. They also had live intertainment and vendors.

There was a shuttle (minimum fee) taking people back and forth from Heritage Square to the Depot Museum. I just walked back to my truck for a very good day.

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

nice wood carvingnice wood carving
nice wood carving

(only 2,000 dollars)


5th October 2022

best article and informative
Thanks for your informative article and its very helpful ,keep writing . I have not read this type of better article before it. Looking for best place for vacations Best villa in Nainital>

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb