Sonora Caverns


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Sonora
April 18th 2016
Published: April 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Braunig RV Park, San Antonio to Sonora Caverns Rv Park


I was apprehensive before I even made it out of bed this morning. We really didn’t know if we would be leaving or not having sat through two days of heavy downpours, thunderstorms and apparently now flooding in Texas.



I was physically shaking when it came time to hook up. I think I checked everything about twenty times before I gave the command to Roy to drive back onto the hitch. I guess where we had knocked it back about three feet off the blocks made it easier for the truck to lock in. Of course it went in as smooth as ever and I’m sure thanks to the extra chocks we looked for at three different stores the night before, so the Rv wasn’t going anywhere.



We made it almost all the way to Sonora before the deluge set in again. Total miles about 180 today from San Antonio and arrived at the campground of Sonora Caverns. Roy couldn’t have handled my nerves any more so it was a good stop.



The lady in the Cavern shop said we would probably have to unhook after driving through the flooded stream as we wouldn’t be able to walk back over. Ok, no problem. Thankfully we were the only ones in the campground or we would not have had enough room to maneuver in and out.



The Sonora Caverns, although remote and in the middle of BFE are amazing and at 300 feet below the ground and 2 miles long, made for a really special extra side trip. Well worth it. Somewhere between Blowfelds’ Lair and a Sci-Fi film. The pictures really don’t do it justice and the peacock on the grounds was an interesting addition.



The smell of burning mesquite trees on the drive made me want to grill out under the open sky but alas it’s raining again J


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb