Marfa Texas I Love you


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Marfa
April 19th 2016
Published: April 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sonora Caverns to Marfa Texas


Its almost stopped raining, thankfully. The night was quiet other than the peacock who decided to warn us in the middle of the night that a fellow camper was arriving, a little disconcerting, given that we were one of three Rv's and miles away from civilization.

We hooked up with only a few huffs and puffs and were on our way. The day started a little gloomy but as we entered into Cowboy country the sky's turned blue with little white fluffy clouds and vistas for miles. The open road and mountains, West Texas hill country in the distance. The land is so vast its hard to get your head around it and with the mountains in the distance I wished I was galloping through the brush on a horse in full cowgirl outfit. I digress.

The views are quite staggering and as we got closer to Marfa and the mountains, all along I-10 off in the distance you could see the mini sand tornadoes (dirt devils) (I re named them Dust Bunnies) and tumbleweed rolling across the barren land.

Then we arrived. "Tumble In RV Park", a pull off on the side of the dusty road, with a neon blinking sign and a small rusty old Rv makeshift Office, where you check yourself in. Self service honor system. Open the door fill out a sheet of paper and put your money in the box. It really does feel like I've gone back in time, a couple of airstreams and a turquoise trailer with the train tracks right behind us, I'm sure that will make for a fun night. Again, we are one of a handful of people here in the middle of nowhere.

So we took a quick trip into town, exactly 1/4 of a mile to the edge of Marfa. If you didn't know what was here you would think it was the smallest poor town in America and there would never be a reason to come here unless you wanted to take the three hour drive from the airport or you are headed somewhere else. Its a town you drive through and think nothing of, but if you stay and look around you enter a twilight zone or a movie set, I don't know which. Until you leave this town dust in the rear view mirror, (or in our case the side mirror's as we don't have a rear view) and wonder; what just happened.

Everything is closed in Marfa about three days a week, of course opening on Wednesday (tomorrow, the day we leave). We missed the boat on the local coffee shop/book store and the handful of local restaurants that go from high cuisine to roadside burritos. Never fear, the local grocery store entertains food from across the globe and all organic high end food. Apparently other than modern minimalist art, Chinati Foundation and a Retro RV park where you can soak in a wood fired hot tub or spend a night in a teepee or 50's brightly colored Rv you have your every day movie star descend on Marfa, who knew?

After enjoying the sunset, a trip to the Marfa lights viewing platform about 10 miles back was in order. Unfortunately I didn't have the patience or optimism given the full moon and full star lit sky to wait all night so we watched for a while and got a spectacular light show of a different kind; the storms about fifty miles away, that lit up the halo of clouds in the vast open space. I've never seen land like Texas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb