More San Antonio


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
September 6th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Headed for the Alamo Saturday. Spent a couple of hours walking around the grounds...the first Saturday of every month they have reenactments, so we got to see a few of those. They also had a speaker who gave a very good overview of the Alamo's history. As it was 100 with about 90% humidity, we strolled over to the Buckhorn Saloon. It's the oldest saloon in TX, and they have mounted heads/horns of nearly everything you can think of on the walls..even a giraffe...

Decided we should check out El Mercado, so we drove over...it's about 1/2 mile from the downtown area. There were several Tejano bands playing around the courtyard, and lots of shops to look at!! We were "good" and only purchased some jalapeno jelly 😊 Headed back home to drop the car off and catch the bus for the River Walk area again. Got there and headed for Rio Rio. The young military man we met last night said it was really good authentic Mexican food. We were a bit disappointed, as it wasn't much different than what we've had in the past. We then headed over to "Howl at the Moon", a dueling piano bar. We had coupons for free admission, which was a good thing, as it's $10/each cover charge to get in. We stayed a while, but they weren't all that fun or funny, so we headed back toward Durty Nellies. There was a different piano player, but he was fun and funny, so we stayed!! We scored a table right away, and then as others were standing, we invited them to sit with us. They were a couple from Houston, so we had a nice visit with them. They are like us and like to strike up conversations at the bar...she was in banking and loves HGTV, so we decided we were soul-mates!!!

Sunday was our "relaxing" day. Started out with some cleaning, and G fixed our mudflap...it had gotten bent somewhere along the way. Wanted to get the bedding washed up again, so we headed for the pool (just across from the laundry 😊. Niiiiicccccceeeee!!! Spent the whole time the laundry was going splashing around the pool. Met a couple from Colorado Springs who are staying while he's a contract engineer. They'll be here a while, but do travel around quite a bit. They still have their home, but have it rented long-term...they thought we were really brave to sell ours!! Dried off and headed to the San Jose Mission. It was interesting, and we spent a couple of hours going through the buildings. There is the church, gristmill, grainery, and the living quarters along the perimeter wall. Back home and G BBQ'd steak again...yum!! It was some sirloin we got at Costco for $3.99/lb...some of the best meat we've ever had from there!!! After dinner, we headed back to the pool. There was a couple who live at this RV park full-time. He's an electrician and they love it here...they can't wait for the "Winter Texans" (read: snowbirds) to arrive to get the party started!! We alternated between the hot tub and the pool and it was so refreshing and relaxing!!! It's funny how you get caught up in getting down the road and seeing the sights and don't really take time to just relax. Was nice to spend most of the day just hanging out!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb