East Texas – Day 4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Nacogdoches
June 2nd 2011
Published: June 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 4


Most of the things we wanted to see were within walking distance of our hotel, the Hotel Fredonia , a treasure in itself. We liked the place so well we decided to stay a second night.

The first stop of the day was the Oak Grove Cemetery. Some of you know that I am a cemetery buff. Although I am not yet ready to take up residence, I truly enjoy visiting old historic cemeteries. Oak Grove is one of those. It is the final resting place for a number of legendary Texans, including four signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Kay & I spent about an hour looking at markers and taking in the history.

Our next stop was the Sterne-Hoya Museum and Library. The young lady on duty, Miranda, had recently graduated from SFA and had moved here from San Antonio. Here folks still live there in the Stone Oak area. What a small world? This house was filled with books and artifacts that made for great visit. They had a book I have not seen before, Deaf Smith, the Incredible Spy that I was able to browse.

For our final stop of the day we drove to the campus of Stephen F. Austin State University. What a nice campus and Kay had read about and wanted to see the Arboretum. It was worth the trip. They had a working beehive that you could open the doors and see inside. I had Kay check it out and once I saw that the bees were safely behind a glass window, I became more interested. More tomorrow!

Stephen F. Austin State University Arboretum


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Oak Grove CemeteryOak Grove Cemetery
Oak Grove Cemetery

There were several of these 1936 markers in the cemetery placed by the State of Texas to commemorate the Texas Centennial.
Oak Grove CemeteryOak Grove Cemetery
Oak Grove Cemetery

Thomas Jefferson Rusk was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and Sam Houston's Secretary of War.


3rd June 2011

Glad you enjoyed Nacogdoches! I spent my college years there and really liked the small town, though the humidity can be unbearable some summer days.

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb