Expansion


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Katy
August 9th 2012
Published: August 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

ITHM has worked in Romania and still works in Kenya. We are keeping our eyes open to what we can do nationally as well. We are expanding our vision and our area of influence here in the USA to fight against human trafficking. As human trafficking is a world-wide problem, the statistics in the USA alone are staggering. The reason human trafficking is the 2nd largest source of income for organized crime is because people are considered a cheap commodity (average price for a slave these days-$90) and “reusable” unlike cocaine, which is bought at a high price, consumed, then gone. Whereas a child forced into labor can provide years of service and profit. Offenders are taking Treasures and turning treating them like trash.

There are labor and sexual trafficked victims. Trafficking does not necessarily mean taken from one place to another but it means victims held against their will…victims of all ages.

I, Jennifer, have been able to attend a training seminar put on by the Houston Child Abuse Taskforce in order to gain more knowledge. I am helping start a small group in our church to educate others about the problem. As I continue to be educated I will also watch for opportunities to serve and make a difference for some of these victims as well as working at prevention.

In Romania I had actually worked with a young woman that had been trafficked. Let’s call her “Sparrow” (a name which Redeemed Ministries, redeemedministries.com, in Houston calls their rescued females). Sparrow, along with other teenagers at an orphanage were promised at the tender age of 15, by a guy that hung around the orphanage, that he could find the girls good jobs if they were not interested in continuing their education at the orphanage. He promised them a good life of money, provision and care across the border. The young ladies had no mamas to turn to (most had been abandoned) to seek advice, and not much motivation to finish school since they had no one to encourage them. So, they brought their passports to the appointed place and jumped on the train with this man to travel to Hungary. Here were a group of young, beautiful teenagers, anticipating a better life. As they packed their few belongings they talked with excitement about the adventure that awaited them…like our teenagers excited about a trip to the beach or an amusement park. After they crossed the border the man told them he needed to hold their passports. They arrived a bit nervous but also excited at this new life that awaited them. They were taken to their destination where they watched the transaction of each passport being handed over to another man who paid 100 German marks ($50 at the time) for each. Their dreams were smashed. They had all just been sold like a piece of meat to become strippers and prostitutes. The predators had pounced and caught their beautiful prey.

Sparrow suffered the life of use and abuse for a few years until her boss took a liking to her. He took her home but after she got pregnant she was useless to him. He kicked her out like a piece of trash, in the dead of winter…she was seven months pregnant. The police caught her with no passport or official papers and put her on a train back to Romania. She arrived in Romania, got off the train and lived in the frigid train station until giving birth to her child. This is not where she thought she would end up four years after the promises of hope and a future.

One reason we work so hard to help those who have been orphaned or abandoned is to prevent them ending up like this young lady. We help provide physical, mental, emotional and spiritual support so they do not have to prostitute in order to have a meal for the day. Many orphans in Kenya are taken in by a family or friend of the deceased, simply to become a means through which the family can make a profit. Predators are looking for the kids who are “throwaways” and runaways….not only in Kenya but here in the USA.

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.” Luke 12:6. May we not forget them either?

The Rescue Center, Talitha Koum, will serve the purpose of protecting many high risk children in the slums of Nairobi. These are not just statistics…these are children that were not lucky enough to be born to a family that could provide for their basic needs.

My prayer is that the American church will hear the desperate cry of the hurting and delve into fighting the enemy, rescuing the captives, getting her hands dirty, and offering hands and hearts to those in need. It is a challenge I often feel myself. I want to be one that says, “YES!” to that call.

“Let us remember what hurts the victim most is not the cruelty of the oppressor but the silence of the bystander”. Elie Wiesel (Holocaust survivor)

Thank you to all who have heard that call and supported ITHM in helping many children over the years! I pray we can continue to be an organization…a group of people that make a huge difference!

If you would like to donate towards the work of ITHM please;

1. Send a tax-deductible check to:

ITHM

23223 S. Warmstone Way

Katy, TX 77494

or,

2. Visit our facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ITHMInc and you can donate on-line.

Thank you and may you be joyful for your freedom!

Jennifer Lawrence

Advertisement



13th August 2012

God bless
Jen, Johnny and Jonathon, Always enjoy hearing from you. This is an exceptionally serious subject. God help us. God bless your obedience. Love and prayers, Sandy Swoager
14th August 2012

Praying
Praying God will help us to help others in Jesus Name.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.6kb