Happy in Helpful Huston.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
March 8th 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

CS:
8th March 2009: We cruised up the river into Huston in the dead of night and woke to the now familiar portside scenes. Having completed formalities elsewhere and because the new ‘red line’ rules have not been implemented this far south yet we were free to go ashore. We walked through the port area, which as usual meant a long way to the gate. However the first of many kind helpful people we met here, a port worker, picked us up in his vehicle having noted we looked somewhat lost. He suggested the bus to downtown and took us to the bus stop. On its arrival some minutes later the bus driver accepted a lesser fare from we three because we had no coins for change and tendering the correct fare ($1.25) is compulsory. It was quite a long drive down Clinton Street into the downtown area. Another helpful local woman sitting behind us on the bus explained there are two buses numbered 30 and we would need to come back on the Clinton Park one. She and driver also assisted with showing us where to find a Chase Morgan bank which was our first priority. Sometimes it does pay to talk in a funny accent. The bank was a beautiful old building with high ceilings, ornate stone work and elaborate fittings. In the process of cashing our cheque we were given ample directions and instructions (including a map) about what to see and do in Houston by the bank teller. We found a coffee shop with free internet which served yummy French toast and booked rooms at the Hyatt for the night. The check-in chap, David, was helpful beyond the call of duty and gave us our rooms straight away on the uppermost (29th) floor with stunning views. We took the Main Street train (we would call it a tram) to the museum district and went to the Museum of Fine Arts which included exhibitions of American art (hardly surprising) and artifacts from Afghanistan. A visit to Hermann Park a short stroll away and to the sculpture garden generated a thirst; as such things do, so we found a little bar and enjoined some Californian wine. Our taxi driver recommended Sambuca which proved to be a wonderful venue for dinner, with easy listening live jazz, great seafood and steak, and a Californian merlot to die for. More internetting after dinner completed an exemplary day.

A long needed and very welcome haircut for me, check out at noon, Galleria district for shopping and dinner back in downtown before taxi-ing back to the ship constituted our second day in this majestic city.

US daylight saving was implemented overnight and Sunday we headed to Fairmont. Returning to the ship we discovered the Seaman’s Club at the port offers free internet. Craig has also now acquired an electronic reader so we adjourned to the club to download new reading material to our hearts’ content. We believe we will sail out of Houston tomorrow but yet again it seems we will be making the passage in the dark. PP and I would probably never have chosen to come to Houston but for this trip, but having now been here we say thank you to all the wonderful helpful locals we met. We found this to be one of the most friendly places. Next stop, Virginia!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb