Cattle Drive In A City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Fort Worth
January 9th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 32.7485, -97.3292

Texas invokes a lot of rugged images and we did kind of expect that we would be part of a wagon train as we crossed the border. DH was already going somewhat weak in the knees at the thought of a black hat cowboy jingle-jangling by us as we tip back a Starbucks late on a sunny Texas patio. She was blaming the weak knees on her recent surgery but she keeps calling me "pilgrim" so I'm really working hard on my best Clint Eastwood squint.

Texas isn't just cowboys and oil men and we did run into some of that varied history almost right away. We stopped to see Bonnie Parkers grave (of Bonnie & Clyde fame/shame) with a slightly twisted epitaph, Lee Harvey Oswald's grave (murderer of JFK) with absolutely no epitaph (apparently it was a struggle just to find a graveyard that would accept his body), a Texas Music Museum (Buddy Holly, ZZ Top, Tanya Tucker, etc), and we even stopped for a look at the world's largest Dr Pepper cans (Texas is the home state of Dr Pepper and this relatively rare pop is absolutely everywhere in Texas). All of that Texas wandering brought us to Fort Worth.

In all of our worldwide travels, we hadn't witnessed a cattle drive in the middle of a city (although the number of wandering cows in virtually every Indian city seemed like a stampeding herd at times), so we had to make the journey to Fort Worth. To be fair it wasn't exactly the dusty, chaotic cattle drives of any spaghetti western you might watch, but just the idea of a herd of Longhorns sauntering along the streets of major U.S. city made it a nice fit in the list of eccentricities we have seen.

And just to take the kitsch to the next level we took in Pawnee Bills Wild West Show. Unlike the western rodeo which was also on offer, no animals were harmed or terrified in the making of this 'tricks' show which included daredevil horseback riding, rope tricks, shooting accuracy, and bullwhip demonstrations (DH seemed really supportive of the cowgirl who was flicking her pink bullwhip at her husband).

We had to keep our time in Fort Worth to a minimum, as my easily influenced Princess was starting to walk bow legged and chew on a straw she found at the Wild West Show while telling the local persistent street people (addressing them as y'all) to “pull in their horns” or she'd “put a spoke in their wheels” (que??).


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Really Big Fiberglass People In TexasReally Big Fiberglass People In Texas
Really Big Fiberglass People In Texas

DH didn't feel the need to get out of the car for this one
Biggest Spurs In The WorldBiggest Spurs In The World
Biggest Spurs In The World

DH only slowed down for this one.
Bonnie Parker Of Bonnie & Clyde FameBonnie Parker Of Bonnie & Clyde Fame
Bonnie Parker Of Bonnie & Clyde Fame

"this old world is made brighter by the lives of folks like you". Are you kidding?? She was a killer.
World's Biggest Dr Pepper CansWorld's Biggest Dr Pepper Cans
World's Biggest Dr Pepper Cans

The drink was created in the 1880s by Charles Alderton in Waco, Texas and first served around 1885.
Texas Musicians MuseumTexas Musicians Museum
Texas Musicians Museum

Compared to Nashville, the wall is a little bare.
Texas Musicians Museum- Buddy Holly YearbookTexas Musicians Museum- Buddy Holly Yearbook
Texas Musicians Museum- Buddy Holly Yearbook

Back when his name was spelled 'Holley'.
The Home Oswald Stayed In The Day BeforeThe Home Oswald Stayed In The Day Before
The Home Oswald Stayed In The Day Before

Lee Harvey Oswald was an American sniper who assassinated President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963.
Lee Harvey Oswald's GraveLee Harvey Oswald's Grave
Lee Harvey Oswald's Grave

On Sunday, November 24, Oswald was being led through the basement of Dallas Police Headquarters toward an armored car that was to take him to the nearby county jail. Dallas nightclub operator Jack Ruby stepped from the crowd and shot Oswald in the abdomen.
Fort Worth, TexasFort Worth, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas

Fort Worth has a population of 812,238.
Pawnee Bills Wild West ShowPawnee Bills Wild West Show
Pawnee Bills Wild West Show

Pawnee Bill was an American showman and performer who specialized in Wild West shows and was known for his short partnership with Buffalo Bill.


19th January 2016

Poor buggers. Don't they smell they aroma from the steak house?
19th January 2016

All very suspicious
19th January 2016

I agree
19th January 2016

looks like the horse knows why
20th January 2016

I'd be more worried about the smells from the Cattle in the Steakhouse! That must be very appetizing :)
20th January 2016

I'd have to agree with DH on this one Vic! Sorry. Funny Photo though : )
20th January 2016

Seriously? What did you expect to see..."Here lies a Robber and Murderer. May she burn in Hell!?"
20th January 2016

...Because she probably had a family, and much to our dismay - someone must've loved her....
20th January 2016

That wasn't a whole lot for "ZZ TOP" !
20th January 2016

They're fun! It's not like Bull Fighting!
20th January 2016

A Steakhouse near the Stockyards? Coincidence of sorts....
20th January 2016

Those things look like they could do some damage...
27th January 2016

Vic, your series of photos at Pawnee Bill's are stellar. Just beautiful!!
9th February 2016

TEST
17th February 2016

wow 3 different types. (sort of like hair.. straight, curly and wavy :))
17th February 2016

long horns impressive
17th February 2016

wow did not know this was an old drink, tried but do not like it.
17th February 2016

hahahaha very true . you needed that special. wedge thingy. they have to place your boot heel and pull it out. btw where was Vic that he did not help.. oh yeah laughing and taking the pic.
17th February 2016

nice to see they still have them around for parades. coaches were a work of art and truly an experience to travel in them. (memories from wild wild west movies)

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb