Top Secret Visit


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
January 12th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.2676, -97.743

Most of the more significant incidents in U.S. history are immortalized with some sort of memorial and/or museum but the Branch Davidian tragedy in Waco might be the one exception. Eighty two Branch Davidian followers and 4 ATF agents were killed in the siege which ended when the compound burned down. Apparently there is a plaque that sits near the residual of the burned buildings but it is on private property now and the reception has been reported as a little hostile so we gave it a pass (it also seemed a touch ghoulish for us to visit). I suspect that the tragedy is still a little raw and given the controversy around who was at fault for the ending, it may be some time before there is any formal recognition of the event. Unfortunately one of the wing nuts who saw Waco as government oppression was Timothy McVay who carried out the Oklahoma City bombing on the 1 year anniversary of Waco.

We did take advantage of Waco in order to visit the Texas Ranger Museum. These iconic cops have a history that is almost as long and colourful as that of Texas itself (DH always saw herself as a Toronto Ranger). When DH wasn't head banging to the tunes of Grand Funk Railroad in the 70's, you could catch her watching 'Walker, Texas Ranger' (or CHIPs, Starsky and Hutch, or just about any other cop drama).

Next up was Austin, the capital of Texas and despite a very prim and proper appearance, the city fathers seem eager to carve out a Keep Austin Weird reputation. There were a couple of odd ball stops particularly along 5th Ave which is the night time home of the University types, but pushing the 'weird' theme did seem a little like sticking a clown nose on a button down Southern gentleman. But the big reason for stopping at Austin was to do a quick catch-up with some wonderful folks we had met on a river boat cruise in Russia. For long time readers of the blog, these were the former CIA operatives (allegedly retired), so out of respect we had to let them edit this section of the blog before we could post it.

We had big plans for ############## ######################## #######. ########## ########################### and ############################ ##############. gate code was ######### #######. John and Elaine G ###############
##############################. ########## ########################### ############### secret
agents ############# ##############. They took us to one of the best Texas BBQ's located near ############## ###############################. ########## ########################### ############################ ##############. ################ fabulous time #############################. ########## ########################### ########### ######. ########### ##############. ################# good food ############################. ########## ########################### ############################ ##############. If you're ever in Austin you must ############################ #################. ########## ########################### ######################### ### ##############. I would caution that #############################################. ########## ############## ############# ############################ ##############, and DH's favourite experience was #############################################. ########## ########################### ############################ ##############. Thanks to Elaine and John for being wonderful hosts.

Next up was our search for the most well known symbol of Texas- the Alamo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Iron ClawThe Iron Claw
The Iron Claw

It's no longer used because of the broken wrist risk
Lone Ranger MaskLone Ranger Mask
Lone Ranger Mask

DH used to wear one of these while on foot patrol in Toronto.


12th February 2016

It's good to see that you (and we) are back in business. We thought that you were kidding with the "Secret Agents" description, but it's obvious that these two have the expertise & ability to redact sensitive information in your blog!
12th February 2016

We think this should read: 'Dinner with Previously Secret Agents".
12th February 2016

When we hear the word 'mermaid', this is definitely not the visual that immediately comes to mind!
12th February 2016

After reading the plaque, we just had to Google this guy. What a vision of loveliness! We do hope that you picked up one of his outrageous frig magnets for us.
12th February 2016

Looooooooooooooooooove it!!
13th February 2016

hey vp that's twice now...finger off the trigger come on dh get your guy with he program will you...
13th February 2016

well done dh well done... at least now i don't have to dock you 8 hours :) oh the good old days
13th February 2016

weight loss method?
17th February 2016

love the pics. and forgot all about those powerball tickets, nice souvenir. :)
17th February 2016

lone ranger.. Llanero Solitario
22nd February 2016

Nice! I can smell it from here : )
22nd February 2016

Good one!
22nd February 2016

Poor thing :(
22nd February 2016

That just looks like a fish wrapped in rabbit fur....
22nd February 2016

Thats just weird. I wonder if that's an Extraterrestrial ?
22nd February 2016

It looks like too much work. Just tow the thing!!
22nd February 2016

Isn't that just lovely....
22nd February 2016

Good Luck!
22nd February 2016

Are you sure that just wasn't one of your fantasies Vic??
22nd February 2016

I can just picture swinging prisoners around by the wrists with that thing!
22nd February 2016

Works of Art!
22nd February 2016

WOW! They make it look like leather craft!! Very nice.
22nd February 2016

Oooops! I guess that answers my question.... LOL!
22nd February 2016

Thats a nice car.... I hope it didn't get trashed or damaged in the shoot-out!
22nd February 2016

Colts are crappy!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb