Dallas and Fort Worth


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
June 15th 2011
Published: June 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Flew from Nashville to Dallas-Fort Worth airport. This airport is enormous, like a city within a city and serves both Dallas and Fort Worth metroplexes. I had to catch two buses just to get out of the airport and to the train station.

The hostel was just a big house with four dorm rooms. Luckily I was let inside by one of the guests, as the owner wasn't even around - it was very laid back!

That night traveled by local train to Fort Worth Stockyards district to check out the night life. First thing I saw walking down the main drag was a man leading a dog. The dog had a little saddle on it with a cat perched on top for the ride. Ontop of the cat was a rat! This was an amazing sight and the man assured me that they were all best mates and no drugging was involved! Will have to see if I can teach Annie to ride Blue like that, though don't like my chances!

Had dinner at one of the many BBQ restaurants in Fort Worth. In Texas everything is enormous. My plate of ribs and beans had a whole corn cob on it and the marguarita was served in a glass the size of a fishbowl. One of the local beer brands supported by this restaurant is 'Buffalo Butt' and comes with a matching picture (!). The restaurant was decorated in typical Texas style with lots of stuffed animals and animal trophy heads on plaques - animal activists and vegetarians should stay away. There was also an enormous buffalo butt (like the beer) sticking out from the wall behind the bar. Not sure if it was real but it was definately lifesize!

After dinner checked out some of the cowboy saloons where there was some live country music. Being Tuesday there wasn't much happening though we did get to speak to some locals. As the train and bus had stopped and it was up to $60 taxi fare back to where we were staying we decided it was worth it to stay in a hotel and come back when the buses started in the morning. There was no-one attending the reception of the crappy hotel to check us in (meant to be 24 hours). I was already walking out the door but my friend started going down the hall and checking all the doors and actually found an un-occupied room unlocked. Next morning we left via the back door and I reckon it served them right for having a slack reception. And yes I will blame my friend for corrupting me!

Next day went into Dallas downtown for a look around. Saw the J.F.K. memorial which is a weird kind of minimalistic space close to where he was shot. Also many monolithic, highrise buildings glittering in the sun made me think of the 'Dallas' TV show minus the big hair and shoulder pads. It was so stinking hot it was difficult to walk around for too long.

The owner of the hostel seemed to enjoy socialising with the backpackers and taking them out. Not sure if he was lonely or just being helpful. He suggested we all go to the movies in South Irving where the cinema shows movies which have been out for a while for $1.50 (during the day only 50 cents)!

Next day I went to stay in Fort Worth. It was a nightmare getting there as the trains were off schedule due to a big sporting parade happening in Dallas. I was talking to a Mexican while waiting over an hour for the train to arrive. The short version of his story was that he told me that Mexico is very dangerous, expecially in the border towns. A friend of his and his wife were forced out of their can at gun point and their car stolen when they stopped at the lights. Later a man in a suit showed up and asked what had happened. When they told him, he wanted all the details of the stolen car. He made a phone call and within 10 minutes the car turned up. He told then to just keep driving without stopping. But after about an hour an a half the woman wanted some water so they stopped the car and opened the boot to get something out. In the boot was a severed head! The people who had stolen the car were a rival gang of the man in the suit. As they were on the suit's territory he ordered his gang to do the execution and get the car back. Apparently beheadings are pretty popular in Mexico. Luckily not on my list of places to visit soon!

Against my better judgement I actually went back to the scene of the crime and stayed in the same cheap hotel (actually very cheap as cost nothing to stay the first time!). The lady on reception was extremely slack and had the phone stuck to her ear 24/7. My disguise of hat, glasses and big nose were not needed as she wouldn't have paid attention if I'd walked up to her and confessed!

I looked around the Stockyards historical district which used to be one of the largest livestock industry centres in the world. Now its mainly maintained for the tourist trade. There are all the usual shops and restaurants, many saloons with live music, a mechanical bull, a maze, a petting zoo and more. Its also home to Texas' largest honkytonk complete with two stages and a live bull riding competition. Also twice a day cowboys drive a small herd of longhorn cattle down the street for the tourists' benefit.

At night went to my first rodeo which is held in a big arena right in the centre of the Fort Worth Stockyards district. I don't think this rodeo was very authentic as was really just for the tourists' benefit, but it was still interesting. There was a bull riding competition where each rider was scored and had to stay on for up to 8 seconds. Some were amazing the way they stuck on but others got thrown straight away.

There was also some calf roping, rope tricks, agility course on horseback and games for the kids. They got all the kids into the arena and got them to chase a small calf or lamb to be the first to remove its yellow ribbon. The poor little animals were terrified to be chased around the arena by a bunch of screaming kids.

Actually the whole time I was thinking how terrifying the experience would be for all the animals involved in the rodeo, with all the music, clapping and bright lights. I guess its their way of life in Texas though, and its not as bad as bull fighting which I would never go to see.

Final night at Fort Worth. I went back to the BBQ place for one final bishbowl size marguarita! Met a nice couple and their (son?) at the bar and they invited me to have dinner with them. I wasn't going to eat but how could I pass up one final Texas BBQ? Had the ribs again (yummy) and they made (?) me have another marguarita. Then they picked up the bill for it all as it was the guy's birthday and they were going all out. What nice Texans!

Went to Billy Bobs, the largest honkytonk ever as I had a ticket to see some country singer peroform who I'd never heard of - doesn't matter! There was also some bull riding but it was only 15 minutes and not as good as the rodeo I saw before. Met a nice cowboy and had a dance.. he was cute although he had two kids. Getting good at meeting cowboys..




Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb