The Road to Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
January 10th 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I woke up early again to leave for Dallas in Texas. We packed all our belongs and began the drive to Texas in our new silver Florida plated car. It was meant to take us 8 hours to arrive in Dallas. The road wasn't very exciting although there was a 25 mile long bridge that we crossed through a river and swamp and the temperature began to plummet to around freezing again or the first time since leaving Washington D.C. The trees around looked very white and wintery from frost, and thankfully there was no ice on the road. We didn't stop at all for lunch, only frequent stops at gas stations for toilet breaks and fuel top ups. The highlight was watching American Psycho on a laptop in the car.
We finally arrived in Dallas at around 5pm and stopped at a Steak house for a steak dinner. It was only $5 for my Sirloin steak and it was delicious, it was cheaper than McDonalds and was nice enough to be served in an upmarket restaurant. The meal and service was great and we left to look around Dallas for attractions. The city looked beautiful. The skyline was well-lit and impressive from afar. We drove into downtown. The city was completely dead, there was nothing to do or see other than nice looking skyscrapers, restaurants and bars. We decided to ask a local, who told us there was nothing to do or see in Dallas on a Monday night other than go to a restaurant or bar, and then asked a woman working at the front desk of a hotel who told us the same thing. There was nothing touristy to do or see in Dallas, other than a soda bar and Aquarium which were both closed. We drove around downtown Dallas for 10 minutes and the tattoo area known as Deep Ellum and then left to head towards Wichita Falls – a city 150 miles outside of Dallas heading towards our next destination, Santa Fe.
We drove for around two and a half hours in the pitch black, through remoteness. There wasn't much to see other than gas stations, although we did pass a place called “Scotland” which was pretty cool. The moon looked a little creepy as it was a large orange crescent moon hanging over the horizon and as we drove kept becoming smothered in black clouds and disappearing. We got out to see the stars around 20 miles outside of Wichita Falls. It was amazing to see so many stars but wasn't as bright as I had seen in California. We got to Wichita where it was -4C and slept.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb