Day 4 - Van Horn, TX to Dallas, TX


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
April 27th 2010
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hotel El CapitanHotel El CapitanHotel El Capitan

Saying goodbye to our hotel in Van Horn, TX
1723 Miles driven, halfway there...
Texas! Van Horn, Pecos, Midland, Big Spring, Colorado City, Sweetwater, Abilene, Baird, Eastland, Mineral Wells, Weatherford, Ft. Worth, Dallas

Sorry to all of you who are still actually reading this blog - we had a ton of fun with our friends Lauren and Jake last night and did not have time to blog until this morning. Yesterday's travels across Texas went by quite quickly. On Sunday, the landscape consisted of Saguara cactus, but yesterday, the landscape was peppered with the classic Texas oil rigs, all working hard and churning that oil for the good old American economy. As we drove, the landscape changed again to hundreds of wind turbines, again, all working hard to get that energy for the good old American economy. We haven't seen very many beautiful towns in Texas, but all in all, you can just feel the Americanism here, not to mention the Southern charm that is so comforting when you're away from home.

We passed through thirteen towns from the historic route, but I won't mention all of them. However, we did stop in Midland, TX - hometown of George W. and Laura Bush.

The highlight of our
Food in Pecos, TXFood in Pecos, TXFood in Pecos, TX

Wow. We skipped breakfast.
day was finally arriving in Dallas! Jake and Lauren took us to this super posh Tex-Mex restaurant called Mi Cocina. We all started the evening with a Mambo Taxi, which is basically a frozen margarita with sangria. Then, for dessert, we each had a shot of tequila. We reflected on how we are finally growing up - first of all, we don't ever do tequila shots, and secondly, we made sure the shot was top shelf liquor, and highly chilled. Back when we were younger, it would have been Montezuma all the way (yuck)!

Back at the house, we spent a lot of time on Lauren and Jake's beautiful patio. Nick and Jake played "crape myrtle stick", which is basically batting practice with a can and a bat that Jake had fashioned out of a crape myrtle branch using a machete. Lesley spent a lot of time loving on their sweet puppy, Dallas, whom is now her best friend. Then we played the box game, no need to say more.

To all of our friends: you need to come visit Jake and Lauren! They are the ultimate hosts. The house is amazing - the decor and furniture is
Texas Oil RigsTexas Oil RigsTexas Oil Rigs

God Bless America!
so unique, it's like something out of a magazine. Lesley is inspired for our house. Last night, they welcomed us with gourmet cheeses and popcorn, and then this morning, Lauren made waffles and coffee. Amazing! This has definitely been the highlight of our trip!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Lunch in Big Spring, TXLunch in Big Spring, TX
Lunch in Big Spring, TX

Texas BBQ for lunch. They gave you free ice cream for dessert, which is cool, but it tasted like baby powder!
Wind TurbinesWind Turbines
Wind Turbines

God Bless America!
Good times!Good times!
Good times!

Mambo Taxi at Mi Cocina with Lauren and Jake.
Crape Myrtle StickCrape Myrtle Stick
Crape Myrtle Stick

Basically batting practice with a can and a crape myrtle branch.
Lesley and Sweet Dallas O.Lesley and Sweet Dallas O.
Lesley and Sweet Dallas O.

Can you tell Lesley misses her puppies?
Lauren and JakeLauren and Jake
Lauren and Jake

After the box game. They are exhausted!


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb