Day 15: Dallas - Contiki Day 9


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas » Uptown
January 21st 2012
Published: January 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Temp: 18 degrees

The day started with a quick breakfast followed by a 15 minute walk to The 6th Floor Museum, the building from which Lee Harvey Ozwald Assasinated President John F Kennedy. the museum was great you could easily spend many more hours than the 2 1/2 we spent there. we did the audio tur whick was fantasti, great info, good commentary and excellent pictures.

Our next stop was Wild Bills, a store you could buy everything you need to become an authentic Texan cowboy, beatifulk cowboy boots, hats belt buckles & much more. I came close to buying a pair of the boots but unfortunley the designs they had availble in my size weren't to die for so i really couldn't justify getting & then having to find room in my very over sized suitcase! Luckly we were headed to the postoffice to send a few things home so we could have a little more room in our suitcases.

By the time we got down at the post office it was 3pm and we were leaving at 4pm to head to Fort Worth for a rodeo so we headed back to the hotel and got ready to leave. The drive was about an hour and we had almost 2 hours free time to look around the stockyards before our dinner. So we looked through some shops, I bought a checkered shirt to wear to the rodeo & we all got some old fashion lollies from the Old Fashion Lolly store. This town was exactly what you would expect old time western towns to look, it was so much fun. There was a mechanical bull, which most of us desided to have a go on, when in Texas y'all! Emma managed to stay on for about 10 seconds but it was not going all that fast, as she has said she is not what you would call a natural. Then we went to dinner, a dinner of ribs and chicken and slaw. It was pretty average, but their cocktails were amazing, one had a corona sticking out the top! yum!

Then after dinner we had about half an hour before the rodeo started so we headed back to the mechanical bull where it was my turn to give it a go, it is a lot harder than it looks mutso much fun!! then others tried too before we made our way to the stockyard stadiums for the rodeo. The rodeo went for 2 hours and encluded some bull riding and calf ropeing, it was fun to watch and intersting but it was not very busy so the atmosphere was not what i expected. After the rodeo we headed to The largest Honkey Tonk bar in the world. Inside was 36 different bars, a whole bunch of pool tables, a dance floor, line dancing, a live band and even more bull riding. We had a couple drinks but it was not a crazy night as we had to be back on the bus at midnight for the drive back to the hotel in Dallas. When we got home everyone was super tired so it was off to bed for us all ready for our big 8 hour drive tomorrow to Memphis, Tennasee.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb