Deep in the Heart of Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
July 26th 2010
Published: July 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Following the LONGEST drive of our entire trip, we arrived this afternoon in Austin, Texas. We were greeted by the loudest, and rowdiest deluge of rain I have encountered in some time. Lightening, thunder and big raindrops just as we turned into the hotel parking lot. We hustled to unload the car - but were soaked nevertheless.

We were up and at 'em at 5am this morning. This was the big enchilada of a drive (no pun intended as we have lived on Mexican food for four days). Jim drove us nearly 600 miles today with only two stops. Texas is much more beautiful than I expected. I envisioned flat, dusty and desolate spans but found green, lush rolling hills, small towns brimming with Americana and lots of old fellows with great, crooked cowboy hats! Of particular interest - Fredricksburg and Johnson City, birth and final resting place of Lyndon Baines Johnson.

Once we got settled and the rain died down, we braved the very dark clouds and ventured down 6th street to get a lay of the land. Not much energy left but tomorrow is a new day! Tomorrow is my first presidential library - LBJ among other fun activities.

PS - the rain made it impossible to take any pictures today 😞

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1012kb