"Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
July 3rd 2014
Published: July 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Despite initially thinking we had a bargain with the Tulsa hotel, in the end all except the room itself were add-ons. Breakfast was not only not included but extortionately expensive. I bought cereal, for instance, and the milk did not come with it. Instead you had to buy a $3 bottle of ridiculous size when less a quarter of it would be needed. In protest, the brothers and I collectively used around 20 mini tubs of the hotel's Coffee Mate to fill up the bowl - The most British form of passive resistance possible.

Today we arrived in Texas and saw traditional cowboy country. After travelling the day on Route 66 we had a lovely, stereotypical Texan evening of thick fillet steaks, chunky chips and gorgeous margaritas. The progression of my "beard" seems to have reduced the chance of me being ID'd and am looking forward to it being thick and luscious upon my return to England. Look forward to that.

I thought it might be worth mentioning that this may be the last blog entry I ever write. If you saw the state of tonight's hotel you could understand why. Just off a particularly nasty patch of anonymous American motorway lies the Best Value American Hotel... it's as bad as it sounds. The red neon sign, the pouring rain and stuffed birds (probably) made it impossible for the Bates Motel not to come to mind. The fear was only increased by Sam's plot synopsis of a film he saw where guests in a similar looking hotel were attacked by people in animal masks. The room itself was warm and damp, large moths flew around outside and a toothpick lay on the floor which certainly wasn't ours. Wish me luck.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb