First day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
June 13th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

(This was written on June 14th. We left late in the afternoon on the 13th)

Well, we just woke up from our first sleep on vacation. We stayed at a La Quinta in Amarillo which is, admittedly, not four star accomodations, but did the job of allowing us to not have to sleep in the car. Driving from Dallas to Amarillo (Google Map) was actually quite interesting. There wasn't really a lot to look at, but there were highlights. For example, we passed under some clouds that developed into a thunderstorm about one or two hundred miles later. What was neat about that was that as the sun was setting, the color of the sunset was reflected off of the clouds. Kind of nice.

While the scenery was basically not, there were still hills and valleys with interesting peaks and formations. It is not scenery that is worth stopping and looking at, but, rather, it is scenery that you let soak into you. There are no "highlights" per se, but just a general appreciation of the land. Seeing things like an old shack on the side of a hill and wondering who had lived there. Things like that.

So, it's about 6:30am right now and we're preparing to leave for Santa Fe after having breakfast at a Denny's across the parking lot. High class, this trip, I know. :-) Should be about a 4.5 hour drive from here to Santa Fe. No pictures from yesterday's drive but I'm sure we'll have some today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb