Santa Fe, NM to Amarillo, TX


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
October 30th 2017
Published: October 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Blog 10-30-17 Santa Fe, NM to Amarillo, TX

It was up and out this morning because we had an appointment at 9 am to get propane in the motorhome from the campground. We were all ready to go by 8:40 so we took the dogs for their last run in the park.

By 9:30 we were on the road and heading east and south to connect with interstate 40. The wind was an issue this morning and it was a full side wind while we were going south then heading east on 40 it was a head wind. That was tough on gas but easier to handle the camper so we motored right along.

The scenery went from desert sage brush with an occasional tree to no trees then to having a virtual forest of pinyon pines. There was a coyote that crossed the highway and lived to tell about it. He ran flat out going across then after going through the fence on the other side stood and looked back as if to say, "Wow, I did it!"

A little further on we saw a herd of antelope just grazing on the grass that was growing in the fields. An occasional hawk flew by and there were more cows grazing in the fields as we went east. Then there were crops growing in the fields, hay,surgum and cotton. Yes, cotton. They were in the process of harvesting the huge fields useing a gigantic farm machine that looked like a grain harvester. The cotton was wrapped up in plastic rolls or long trailer size box shaped plastic wrappers.

Then we encountered windmills, the kind that generate electricity twirling in the wind. There were so many, the line was as far as we could see, that Ginnie took note of the mileage and by the time we got to the end of the line we had gone 40 miles, yes miles folks, of windmills. And they were 5 deep. Everything is big in Texas.

The land is flat with an occasional hill off to the left or right but perfect for a wind mill farm.

Our campground was a pick your site and make yourself at home deal. We found envelopes at the door to the office and they said what the charge was and if you left cash just put the envelope in the slot. If you used your credit card go over to the convience store across the street and they will take care of the charge.

We have power and sewer and a place to walk the dogs so we are fine for the night. We hit the road again tomorrow with a destination of Bowie, TX. We are dropping south hoping for warmer weather for a few days at least.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb