Lexington , Ky to Forrest City, Arkansas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee
June 23rd 2011
Published: July 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

June 23, 2011 Thursday
Drove to Memphis today stopping at the Parkers Crossroads Battlefield near Wildersville, Tennessee. General Forrest was returning from tearing up railroads and capturing federal supply trains, then burning what they could not carry. Northwest of Parkers Crossroads where present day I 40 is they were overtaken by a Union force intent on "killing or capturing " Forest. After the Yankees attacked, Forest counterattacked and drove the Federals from their positions and behind a split rail fence. Forrest was in the process of negotiating their surrender when a second Union force appeared from the North and attacked. Forrest immediately split up his command and ordered them to "attack in both directions". This threw the Union forces in disarray and Forrest and his command withdrew from the "trap".
After visiting the battlefield I went on to Memphis and spent most of the day there looking around, then drove on West of town to the first place I found that had decent prices on their motels but the motels were decent ones, not rat holes. About 25 miles to Forrest City Arkansas. It's hot there too.
I stayed at the America's Best Value Inn there for $52 with tax. It
was clean, comfortable and very quiet. And $20 cheaper a night than Super 8 which I checked out first.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

World famous Chicken ??!World famous Chicken ??!
World famous Chicken ??!

They only had "spicy" so I declined.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb