day 1 - Winnipeg, MB >> Watertown, SD


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 1
Winnipeg MB >> Watertown SD - +/-600KM

We finally left Ile Des Chenes at 2:30pm on Saturday, I had woken up with a slight headache from a bit too much wine with my sisters and their husbands the night before so I was in no hurry to get ready to leave. I cooked breakfast for my sister's kids, I then drove into WPG to pick up Carlo, who had not been tied down in his room 'never to leave' by his mother, so we could start packing the truck for our Not North road trip. After our first atempt at leaving, 20kms out we realized we forgot the wireless modem and dads mail, we were sucessfull. Truck was packed; camp stove, check; sleeping bags, check; satelite radio, check; money, passports, etc, check, check; my hair dryer, very important, check; our clothes, check. Our dufflebags with clothes of course out weighted all other essentials as we probably packed way too much, yes even Carlo packs too much. Then lets not forget Yukon, our sweetheart, our dog, she has her own space behind us on the back bench just happy going for a truck ride. If she only knew...

The ride to the border was without any mishap, but the border patrol was an interesting fella, WHERE ARE YOU FROM 'Holland and Canada', yes he yelled this at us, WHERE ARE YOU GOING, 'Mexico' WHO's TRUCK IS THIS, 'mine sir' HOW DO YOU KNOW EACH OTHER interesting...., 'well we are together'. I thought any minute now Carlo was going to start laughing at this guy as he was intimidatingly scarry and funny at the same time, we seriously thought he was going to tear us and the truck apart. CARLO, CARLO WHAT DO YOU DO 'I am a realestate agent' HOW LONG ARE YOU GOING TO MEXICO 'couple of months' A COUPLE OF MONTHS???? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO BE DOING THERE? Carlo and I looked at each other and schrugged our shoulders ...... 'holidays???' WHO'S DOG IS THIS 'mine sir'. Well that was it, I had to go inside and fill out and pay for a 3month visitor visa and on the road we were again. We should email Sat Night Live and tell them to give that guy a skit.

We drove for about 6hours that day and stopped in a small town named Watertown SD. Man it was still cold outside, you would think 6 hours south would make a difference but 'noooo'. The Travellers Inn; they had wireless internet, pet rooms, a tv and we were happy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb