CC w Chris Day 6


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Spearfish
September 7th 2014
Published: September 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

2014 09 07 Day 6

Because we didn't get back to the motel until midnight, we slept in.



Last night we decided that instead of driving four hours round trip to see Jewel Cave National Park, we would spend the day seeing Deadwood and relaxing.



We left the motel around 10, got gas and got the car washed to remove the seven layers of bugs from the front of the car.



We drove to Deadwood (about 15 miles) and had a very nice breakfast at Lee St. Station. We then walked through Deadwood which has absolutely nothing to see, unless you like to look at touristy shops with overpriced junk they call souvenirs, or casinos.



The welcome center had a small exhibit detailing the history of Deadwood. Deadwood originally was Sioux land. While Custer and his men passed through looking for a place to put a fort, his men discovered gold nuggets laying on the ground. The army didn't do anything to stop the ensuing rush of gold prospectors, so the Sioux fought to keep their land. One of the battles was of Little Big Horn, where Custer lost his life. How ironic.



Chris and I went into casino, where I lost $20 in about three minutes playing slots, but Chris won a little. She wanted to visit more casinos, so I left her to her gambling and went to Sturgis to buy rum.



We spent the rest of the day relaxing and had dinner at Applebees, where everyone was super friendly. So different than the East coast.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb