CC w Chris Day 4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Spearfish
September 5th 2014
Published: September 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

2014 09 05 Day 4



We decided, geniuses that we are, that we didn't need to each have our own suitcase, we could combine our clothes, etc. into one suitcase and eliminate the need to bring two suitcases into the motel room each night. So we consolidated two suitcases into one. These suitcases are smaller suitcases that would fit into the overhead compartments on a plane. We also have a larger suitcase jammed full that we don't bring into the room each night. I think we packed enough for a two year journey. I emptied the trunk to store unneeded item in the wheel well, and carefully repacked the trunk.



When we got in the car at 8:51 to leave Sioux City, the tire pressure indicator light was on. Unfortunately the tire pressure gauge was in the tool bag that was in the – you guessed it – wheel well. I took everything out of the trunk, got the tire pressure gauge out of the tool bag, and put everything back into the trunk. Fortunately, it was not raining, it was cloudy and very cold, but not raining.



We stopped at the first gas station and got air & gas. Interestingly enough, they did not charge for air, I haven’t seen free air in eons. We grabbed a quick breakfast at McDonald’s and proceeded on our way.



After a while the sky cleared, but it remained chilly throughout the day.



We stopped in Sioux Falls to see the Falls because Chris can't travel long distances without stopping to see something, and I figured if they are going to name a city after a waterfall, we should at least have the courtesy to stop and see it. It was actually a very nice little falls, and a very impressive park. We walked around, took a few pictures, went up the observation tower, and bought postcards in the gift shop.



Several hours later, we stopped in Pierre, South Dakota to see the Cultural Heritage center and have lunch. The Heritage Center is a very nice museum detailing the history of South Dakota. They didn't seem to whitewash anything, depicting the early politicians as scoundrels and detailing all of the cheating that occurred each time they voted to move the capital.



We drove all through town looking for a place to eat, but what was to become a recurring theme, there were very few restaurants, and most closed after lunch and reopened for dinner at 5:00 pm. We were looking for a nice dinner, but ended up eating at Subway.



The weather was beautiful, warm breeze with very few clouds.



We drove through the Badlands National Park, and much to my surprise, Chris liked it, at least for the first 45 minutes.



We crossed the time zone into Mountain time.



The speed limit on the Interstate is 75, which is great. It could probable be raised to 85 because Rt. 90 is so straight and flat, - really, really straight, and really, really flat. Thank the Heavens for cruise control.



We drove into Rapid City so we could get a Firehouse Brewery wine glass for our neighbor. By the time we got there we were starving. It was about 7:30 on Friday so every decent restaurant had a long wait. As we couldn't wait because we were so hungry, we went to McDonald's and ate dinner there.



As it was dark and were were about a half hour away from Mt. Rushmore, we (I) decided that we should go see Mt. Rushmore with lights (for the record, (and lest ye forget, this IS the record) I don't think Chris was real happy about going to see Rushmore, she had already exceeded her limit for being in the car).



We saw Mt. Rushmore with lights, I am glad I did, but it did make for a long day. I was up at 5:00 am, drove 603 miles, and got to the motel in Spearfish at 9:56 – add 1 hour because of the time zone change and you end up with an 18 hour day. I’m way too old for that kind of day.



I am going to plan a more relaxing schedule in the future.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb