Exploring the area again.


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

First of all, John and I want to wish my baby brother, David M, and our good friend Barb A very Happy Birthdays! We hope you both have wonderful ones. Love you!!

We pulled out of camp at 9:15 heading directly to the local library in hopes of good WiFi. The folks there were very accommodating and I was soon busily at work getting yesterday’s blog out. Leaving the library at 10:30, Spearfish Canyon was our next excursion.

Leaving the town of Spearfish on the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway, we were soon back in the Black Hills. It was a very nice drive and we expect it would be spectacular in the Fall when the Aspen and Beech trees turn. It was pretty today but in comparison to the drives in the Mount Rushmore area, it was not at that level. We did see where the tornado hit last week and it did a huge amount of damage to trees, but we couldn’t see that much damage had been done to houses in that area, which is a good thing. By the way, I don’t think I explained earlier in the blog why we did not go to Mount Rushmore this time. We have been there several times before and since the area was crowded with 4th of July celebrants, we just decided we didn’t want to get into that traffic driving the RV. We did see it a couple of times from Iron Mountain Road so we didn’t feel deprived!

Coming out of Spearfish Canyon we were headed once again in the direction of Lead. Driving through Lead we decided that since we hadn’t stopped in Deadwood yesterday, and since it was both cooler and cloudier today, we would spend a little time there. We parked at the visitor’s center where we got information on a local town tour. We walked a few blocks up to Main Street where we purchased tickets for the tour which started about 30 minutes later. It was a good one. The driver was good and made our drive both interesting, informative, and funny. The bus did stop in Mt. Moriah Cemetery where Wild BIll Hickok and Calamity Jane are buried. We got a good overview of the town from there since it was so high up.

We had lunch at the Buffalo Steakhouse and Saloon. It is one of the oldest building in Deadwood. The floors in the bar looked like they were surely there when Wild BIll was. The food was good and they had live entertainment—thought we were in Nashville again!

We returned to Spearfish, getting back to the RV a little after 4:00. We drove 49 miles today.

PS—We are once again at the Spearfish Public Library so I can post yesterday’s blog. We are heading to Theodore Roosevelt National Park today so likely won’t have wifi for a few days. Hopefully the wait will be worth it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Buffalo Steakhouse and SaloonBuffalo Steakhouse and Saloon
Buffalo Steakhouse and Saloon

One of the oldest in Deadwood
House of ill repute in DeadwoodHouse of ill repute in Deadwood
House of ill repute in Deadwood

Check out the windows...
Plaque for Potatoe Creek JohnnyPlaque for Potatoe Creek Johnny
Plaque for Potatoe Creek Johnny

He found the biggest nugget at 7.75 oz of gold that was ever found in that area.
Homestake Mine shaft in LeadHomestake Mine shaft in Lead
Homestake Mine shaft in Lead

You can see this from the cemetery in Deadwood.


10th July 2018
Relaxing with rain on the roof!

Enjoying the great photographs.
10th July 2018

I think I figured this site out
Pat, I just figured out that when you click on the more photos button is gives the comment area on the bottom. I think I had not hit the button on previous times when I left you a message. Learning curve for me. Either way loved this blog and all the old western town photos. After you get home and rest up can you and John come over for a lite salad so that we can discuss all the must see things of this trip in SD. I want to write them down. I plan on going through all the blog at the end. We like Scenic byway, waterfalls, mountain views and good restaurants. I think this trip would be doable next summer for us to drive and stay in hotels. We won't be doing as long as you guys just maybe a week but want to get in as much of the best sites as possible. Gotta run love you both and can't wait for the Roosevelt National Park. Lora
11th July 2018

Wild Bill
I’ve heard of Wild Bill, but I don’t know why he’s famous. Your blog peaked my curiosity, so I did an internet search. I must admit, I would struggle to write a short summary of his life. So I will leave it there, That was a picturesque cemetery.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb