We made it to South Dakota!


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Dunns are officially on the road. We left home yesterday at 3 PM and drove until 10. We were able to drive 400 miles. The girls have been great so far! Maddie has spent most of her time reading and making travel bingo for the family. Julia has been doing what she does best - snacking! The heat was a little tough on us ( just me) for a while, but then it cooled down. Our final destination last night was a campground on the Illinois/Iowa border called Lundeen’s Landing. The only problem was that it was completely flooded. We tried to talk the girls into sleeping in their bathing suits, but they weren’t interested. Tony did find a dry camping spot down the road where we were able to crash for the night. After showers, pop tarts and bagels at 5 AM, we were on the road again. We’re hoping to drive 800 miles today and camp near Mt. Rushmore. While the girls and I slept a few hours this morning, Tony was busy driving through some pretty heavy rain with lightning. He refers to it as a “white knuckle moment”. We found out later that a tornado had touched down in Iowa (about two hours from us) and killed four boy scouts who were camping. How tragic! I know that some of you have been wondering how much money we are going to spend on gas, so we’re keeping a gas log for you. We are currently at: $98.90 but we need to fill up again! See you in South Dakota!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb