Where the Deer and the Antelope Play


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Rapid City
August 29th 2017
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


blog 08-29-17 Where the Deer and the Antelope Play

The night in Casper was quiet and comfortable with the temperature dropping to 55 degrees. In the morning we took the dogs on a longer walk through the campground and along the river. It's the North Platte River and the current is quite swift.

We headed out about 9:30 am, found rt 26 and headed west. It was a 2 lane 65 mph road through the countryside with very little traffic on it. We passed more of the same as yesterday with rolling hills and gullies. It's amazing that we could travel over 100 miles with nothing vertical, it was absolutely flat. There were a lot of bee hives all along our route, a real surprise.

The road led to Riverton, a small town with a Walmart. We had saved our shopping for the next week for this store so after walking the dogs we took care of business. On the road again we headed for Dubois and then the pass over the continental divide.

As we headed out of town we rounded a corner and the terrain changed completely. We now had large red cliffs, very dry and irregular. We followed a small river with not much water and started climbing and climbing and climbing. We went from 5400 ft to 9549 at the Continental Divide over Togwotee Pass (Tahogate) and started downhill. Ginnie was worried about George being able to make the climb but he took it in stride and did just fine.

We entered Teton Nat'l Park and proceeded to Flagg Ranch where we will be spending the next 3 nights. Our campsite is a pull-through among lodge pole pines so we just pulled in and then unhooked the car, easy. With 2 of us setting up it goes really fast and we even had the dog fence up in no time.

After a long day we decided to treat ourselves to a resturant meal so we showered and headed to the Lodge here at Flagg Ranch, a 3 minute drive. We ate in a beautiful log diningroom, had a lovely watress from Bulgaria and our meal of prime rib was prime. They served holopenio corn muffins with honey butter that were just supurb. We brought home enough for the next night and a huckelberry cobler to share.

Terrific evening and the temp is starting to fall so sleeping will be delightful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb