Day 9


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today begins the slow journey back east. We were up early this morning and left Greybull, WY and headed east towards South Dakota. We drove for about 40 minutes until we found a town big enough to have a place open where we could buy breakfast. There really is very little in Wyoming. I think the largest town we passed through today had about 8000 people. The landscape is beautiful though. It reminded me a lot of Texas. Nothing but ranches and some oil wells as far as the eye can see. We drove most of the morning to Devils Tower National Monument. We spent about an hour there taking some photos and soaking in the tower. I remember being there in 1993 but it really seemed different this time. I can't explain what was different but it was just different than I remember it being. It was still amazing to see though. After leaving Devils Tower we continued east into South Dakota and stopped at the Crazy Horse Monument. There has been progress on it in the 16 years since we were here last. The face of the monument is now completed and they have blasted away a lot more of the mountain to begin carving out the horse's head. We spent some time wandering around the museum and observing all the Native Indian artifacts that they had there. I don't remember the museum being there last time but it was set up really nice and interesting to see. Tonight we decided to relax and rest and tomorrow we will be visiting Mt. Rushmore, Badlands National Park, the Petrified Forest and any other little things we may see along the way before we head for home Monday morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb