NW Adventure Day 23


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Rapid City
October 8th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NW Adventure 10.08.08


Badlands


Our revised plan gave us a relaxing early morning before heading out to the Badlands. We had a challenge to face as the ladies in North Dakota a few weeks back had said they believed the North Dakota Badlands were better than the South Dakota ones. Obviously, they were somewhat biased but still, it gave us pause to see what we'd think since we had already seen at least some of the North Dakota Badlands and thought they were excellent.

The roads leveled out pretty quickly after leaving Rapid City. Did you hear the whining? Jerry was like - what exactly is supposed to be out here? Finally, in the distance, one could see something, though I have to admit it wasn't very obvious. Rita tried to explain that unlike the mountains you could see from a distance, you pretty much go down into the best of the Badlands. Oh well, Jerry would see soon enough.

We had a navigational decision to make along the way, checking out a road we weren't quite sure would be adequate. Jerry doesn't like us taking the dirt roads to nowhere. The dirt/gravel road we took a ways back in Yellowstone must have given him confidence. Because, in spite of the fact this road was totally unpaved and would be for a good twenty miles or so, he turned on to it without hesitation. Ironically, the man that wouldn't turn on to anything but asphalt or cement at the start of the trip (Jerry), starts taking turns on this dirt road at 45 mph. How dirt brings out the boy in a grown man!! We never regrettted it. It was not only a beautiful, albeit dusty road, there was some very interesting wildlife that we are certain we would have missed had we traveled the more common road. First were the buffalo at a distance, then the antelope that were so unimpressed with our visit, they high-tailed it out of there as quickly as they could. Last were the buffalo on the road who made it very, very clear that they had right of way. Of course, Jerry had seen enough buffalo by now, he truly believed he could inch his way forward to get them to move along. That is, until one of the bigger, older ones turned to face the car and gave him a look that needed no explanation. That buffalo began a slow advance. Even Jerry had his hand ready to shift to reverse - a lot of good that would have done had the buffalo decided to charge. Oh well...all's well that ends well. The buffalo kept an eye on him and ever-so-slowly inched forward as the rest of the herd slowly moved across the road. Finally, it turned and went down along side the road as the other buffalo were doing. Whew! That was just a little too close for comfort!!

We began seeing some badland-like scenery and it wasn't long after that it became awesome. The differences in rock colors and variety of formations are difficult to describe. It is even difficult to portray in pictures as the colors seem similar but in person were very, very different. Luckily, we never saw or heard a rattlesnake in spite of warnings at almost all of the pathways to lookouts. Jerry walked a few of these in spite of very strong gusts of wind. Rita walked out to one and even stayed back a ways to avoid being blown off. There is something to be said for the extra weight on such a windy day - easier for Rita to stay grounded 😊

Toward the end of our Badlands journey, there was a long pathway that Jerry could have scootered through but by then, it was getting later afternoon already and given the number of walks he had done and the now chilling wind, we thought better of it and instead, headed to the expressway to get back to Rapid City. It was a great, great time, especially the unpaved road but everything must come to an end.

Who wins?


The North Dakota and South Dakota Badlands are very different and thus, it is sincerely difficult to choose between the two. There is reason to visit both. We ultimately decided the South Dakota ones were better if for no other reason than they had seemed more accessible. There were more routes to observe via vehicle and more pathways accessible for the Jerry's of the world. We have to admit that we really didn't investigate the North Dakota Badlands so there is that potential they are equal in those areas - just different. After all, we didn't even know North Dakota had Badlands until we went through there. However, looking at the North Dakota Badlands, one really doesn't think BADlands whereas in the South Dakota Badlands, you do.

Wall Drug Store


Rita could not think of any explanation for Jerry as to why EVERYbody just has to stop at Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota but nonetheless, Rita dragged him to at least see it even if he was too tired to go in. Jerry was unimpressed (not surprising). So, a picture just to prove he had been there and we were back on the expressway.

Thoughts of Home


The Badlands was the last of our planned tour events. Our thoughts quickly turned to organizing and packing up for the trip home. First was a car wash after the unpaved road travel. Then, packing all the little souvenir packages littering the car and other things to prepare for the trip home. That done, we talked with the hotel staff for dinner recommendation. We knew the next two days would specifically be travel home so for all intensive purposes, this would be our concluding, celebratory dinner. They suggested a local restaurant, Minerva's, and it was exactly what we were looking for. It was local, food was extraordinary, and ambiance was
It's an antelope!It's an antelope!It's an antelope!

We needed binoculars to tell us that
casual yet very special. We revisited all the favorite parts of our trip over dinner. Even our waitress joined in the specialty of this dinner.

We saved some time to start reviewing and sorting pictures of the days we have missed posting. We realize that some of our best pictures and tales have yet to be shown and told. They were also some of our longest days with an inordinate amount of pictures. Thus, they never got posted. We succomb to the need for sleep knowing that we will catch up in the first few days home for those still interested in those wonderful days at Glacier, Canada, Tetons, and Yellowstone. We are committed to getting them out in the next week.

It has been yet another great day and the evening, downright exceptional!!







Additional photos below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Through the back windowThrough the back window
Through the back window

We were really kicking up the dust
What the heck does this guy want?What the heck does this guy want?
What the heck does this guy want?

Just stood there watching as we passed
This guy decides to challengeThis guy decides to challenge
This guy decides to challenge

He starts inching forward to us the same as we were doing
Whew - he finally moves on with the othersWhew - he finally moves on with the others
Whew - he finally moves on with the others

Even Jerry had his hand ready to switch to reverse (not sure what good that would have been had he charged but oh well)


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb