Life was like a box of chocolates ...


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Forrest GumpForrest GumpForrest Gump

A feather flew by the steeple of this church in the movie.
I've always heard that Atlanta rush hour traffic is one of the worst in the nation, but not until we were trapped in it, I realized how lucky I am, not to have to commute to work everyday like millions in Atlanta.

Jason, Ryan and I were leaving for Savannah, Georgia right after work on Friday, and the traffic out from Atlanta was bad. How did driving through the 'Spaghetti Junction' sound like? Four hours later, we finally arrived in Savannah. Ryan has reserved a hotel in a somewhat sketchy area, and the accomodation is not something I can brag about here.

Savannah is like a box of chocolate, or at least this is what I can conclude about the charming town after watching my favorite 'Forrest Gump'. In the movie, Forrest was sitting on a park bench in Savannah, and telling his interesting life story from the bench.

To my surprise, the real Forsyth Square (where Forrest was supposed to sit, waiting for his bus that would bring him to Jenny) doesn't look like the movie's. The original bench is now located at the Tourist Center (and an admission fee is charged for those who longingly seeing
Mississippi?Mississippi?Mississippi?

This steamboat seemed to be misplaced, (hint. Mississippi?)
the bench in person).

Sounds like a tourist trap.

Savannah is one of the first town laid in the United States, with streets are designed in an excellent grid system with blocks of parks, called 'squares', put in almost every other block in the town. Throughout the centuries, many of these squares were conferted into structures, but many are survived to be the 'city park', if you will. Today only thirty plus squares survived.

Savannah is a typical southern town, with its charm clinging from huge Live Oaks that can be found all over the town's many squares and parks. Literally. Spanish Moss, the parasite plants that live off a host tree, give the ghostly look to the city. The southern humidity allows the Moss to thrive almost limitless everywhere, and they become the symbol of the Deep South.

River Street, a touristy street along Savannah River, is a place to go for most tourists. Many business and establishments are located here, and strolling along the street, we managed to see almost too many things at once. Across the River is the Westin Savannah, a landmark that was designed by our firm.

After tasting my
Westin of Savanna, GAWestin of Savanna, GAWestin of Savanna, GA

Hey, the company I work for designed this famous Savanna landmark!
first 'authentic southern food' at River Street, we drove a short distance outside the city skirt to gray Tybee Island, to check out the lighthouse and the Atlantic Ocean.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Spanish MossSpanish Moss
Spanish Moss

Spanish moss is all over the place, a right place for a halloween!
Wormloe Plantation entranceWormloe Plantation entrance
Wormloe Plantation entrance

A typical southern plantation entrance, complete with the spanish moss.
Tybee Island, GATybee Island, GA
Tybee Island, GA

Something is creepy about the lighthouse.
USMC Annebellum HouseUSMC Annebellum House
USMC Annebellum House

A typical annebellum house in Beaufort, SC, heavily influenced by USMC.
Semper FiSemper Fi
Semper Fi

USMC Inspired


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb