We make Marines!


Advertisement
Published: November 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Beaufort (pronounced Byu-fert) is located at the heart of the Low Country of South Carolina. Just like the typical southern town, Beaufort is filled with Spanish Moss hanging off from any visible brances in any trees, old and new. As we were driving around the town to see annabellum houses across a lake and historical structures, we noticed that strong influence of Marine Corps was evident throughout the town. Parris Island (the Marine Corps Recruitment Depot) is only miles away.

Parris Island is one of two locations, apart from MCRD San Diego California, where the recruit Marines go to bootcamp. Every recruits from east of the Mississippi River and all women have to fulfil their bootcamp in this island. After passing through the full inspection routine at the entrance of the island by a young Marine, we drove pass a long bridge to go to the visitor center by the offices of the USMC. Parris Island was a quiet place on Sundays, and we saw a sign by the entrance:

Parris Island ... We make Marines!



Too true, and I was wondering how it feels like to live in this island, trying to be a Marine. I expected to see hundreds of young Marines, sweating and trying to catch their breaths, having done with their 10-mile march and doing push-ups under the very nose of D.I.s. But everything was quiet, we hardly saw anyone in the island. Unfortunately, the visitor center was closed for Sunday, so we parked our car at the center parking lot and walked around the block. It was very inspiring to see how almost everything was painted with red and yellow, the USMC colors, and to find a Subway sandwich store is stuck among USMC offices.

Semper Fi. Ooo-rah!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb