Lighthouse Stay -- Bucket List Item -- Check!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Rhode Island » Newport
October 13th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.4921, -71.3113

We woke up early this morning since we had an estimated four-hour drive from Hope to Newport. After breakfast in the Inn when they opened at 8 a.m., we were off by 9:00 for the drive through New York and Connecticut to Newport, Rhode Island and the Rose Island Lighthouse.

Anticipating heavy traffic as we made our way on I-287 just north of New York City, we allowed plenty of time for the drive. Traffic was heavy but did not slow down significantly anywhere on the trip. We got through the worst of it before stopping for gas soon after entering Connecticut. Seeing that we would get to Newport about two hours before the boat was scheduled to pick us up, we stopped for lunch at Oatley's Family Restaurant in New Kingstown. When we arrived in Newport, we stopped at a convenience store to pick up sandwiches for tonight's dinner and muffins and fruit for tomorrow's breakfast then went on to Fort Adams State Park. The boat to take us to the island met us at the state park pier on schedule at 3 p.m.

We had time to look around some at the park and walked part way around the fort and out on the dock before going back to the car to grab our gear and look for the boat. Another couple was at the same pier waiting to go to the island, too. Although the lighthouse can accommodate ten people, only the four of us are here tonight.

Chris, the boatman, caretaker, and groundskeeper for the lighthouse, picked us up, took us for the ten-minute ride to Rose Island, and showed us all around the lighthouse and grounds. He answered questions and puttered around doing a few little jobs before he took off in the boat and left us here for the night. We asked him to take our photo, and he didn't seem to mind the interruption at all.

When we began the tour, Chris took us to our apartment for the night and pointed out the direction for Keith and Mel (from NYC) to find their room. Chris explained how to use everything and our responsibilities for the night before we went down to the other couple's room for their orientation. The guest keepers are normally asked to do two things: lower the flag at dusk and raise it the next morning and light the boiler. However, there was something broken with the flag apparatus so we did not get to take care of the flag. And the boiler did not need to be re-lit while we were there.

We got to see the other couple's room, too, the foghorn room, and when we finished up with Chris, they asked if they could see our space. We showed them our apartment which is a large kitchen/dining/living room combo, bathroom, and bedroom. I opted for this apartment since it is the only one available with a private bath. We also went up the tower to see the light up close. The first part of the climb is a narrow staircase, but the second part of the climb is an even more narrow ladder. I made it knowing that it would be hard to get back down, but I didn't want to miss being by the light since we were so close.

We walked a bit on the beach and sat outside watching the boats go by for a while. There were lots of sailboats, some catamarans, two three-masted schooners, and two cruise ships in port when we arrived: an Oceania ship and the Caribbean Princess. After having our dinner, it was almost dark, and we went back outside to see the light working and look for stars. The light blinks on about once every five seconds. The sky is partly cloudy covering then revealing a nearly full moon, and we felt a bit of mist while we stood outside visiting with Keith and Mel again. We shared travel stories and learned about some interesting places they have visited in Vermont and Montana.

We are in for the night now and are listening to the wind that has strengthened in the last few minutes. I hope I can sleep well tonight, although I do hear a bell on one of the buoys clanging. It should be quiet again when the wind slows down.

Tomorrow, Chris will pick us up around 10:15 for the return trip to the mainland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb