Gilded Age Mansions


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Rhode Island » Newport
October 18th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Now that's a gate"Now that's a gate"Now that's a gate"

The Vanderbilts' fortune (from railways) created this jewel in the crown of the Newport Mansions. Built in 1895, The Breakers incorporated modern plumbing plus hot and cold running seawater in the bathrooms. Also, it was one of the first of the great summer houses to have electricity. So new was this that Cornelius Vanderbilt had his main light fittings built to be able to use electricity, or gas as a backup.
Geo: 41.4885, -71.3176

We visited Newport, Rhode Island today. A little less than two hours drive east of here. Who knew that at the turn of the 20th century this is where the richest families in the USA built their summer houses? For example, the mansion in the Brad Pitt/Anthony Hopkins movie "Meet Joe Black".

The incredible extravagance of these massive dwellings generated criticism, plus the rising property taxes in the post-depression world saw a decline in the desirability of these status symbols. They started to be sold off for demolition until a group of concerned citizens banded together in 1945 to preserve the heritage of this remarkable period.

We toured two of the houses and had a stroll through the old town and lunch at a convivial Irish pub.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The BreakersThe Breakers
The Breakers

European architecture inspired this and many of the gilded age mansions. This summer house (only occupied for 8-10 weeks a year) boasted 70 rooms and a floor area of about 14,000 sqm. The internal opulence was at least the equal of any of the European palaces we have seen.
Grand HallGrand Hall
Grand Hall

The summer activities were rigidly prescribed, with entertaining forming a major part of the social scene. Dinners for 200 or even 400 were held and some families would typically spend $300,000 on their summer entertainments.
Butler's PantryButler's Pantry
Butler's Pantry

This was the butler's domain and included a walk-in safe to keep the most valuable gold and silverware table services, and fine china.
Staff quarters Staff quarters
Staff quarters

These stairs accessed the top two floors where there were 33 bedrooms for staff. Despite the extraordinary sums spent on the main house, the servants quarters were austere and cramped.
Cliff WalkCliff Walk
Cliff Walk

Newport has a pretty coastal walk where glimpses of the mansions can be seen.
Newport Old TownNewport Old Town
Newport Old Town

Newport dates from 1639 and there are many historical buildings in the town.
Servants' entrance at The ElmsServants' entrance at The Elms
Servants' entrance at The Elms

The Preservation Society owns 12 properties in Newport. It would take a week to visit them all. Some have only guided tours, but most seem to offer self-paced audio tours that are very good. Some mansions remain in private ownership and use. The Elms was the summer retreat of coal magnate Edward Berwind. Built in 1901 it is one of the most modern mansions. This circular, covered way was where deliveries were discretely made to the basement.


19th October 2016

Looks a very pleasnt part of the world. Great weather.
20th October 2016

Sel, Rob,Indeed, Newport is a wonderful place to visit, and I daresay is a lovely place to live. Carol and I spent a couple of days in and around Newport earlier in spring ...I think. Yes, it is fascinating to get an insight into the Gild
ed Age ...and the lives of the "Robber Barrons" that it enabled. We have just started watching Downton Abbey (I hear you saying ..."What's the rush?" which provides an English perspective. Continue to enjoy the trip!! All the best. Cheers. Lowie.
27th October 2016

Very attractive means to an end. The mansions look absolutely wonderful, amazing. We saw mansions in Epernay which were standing vacant and wondered at their beauty and charm behind boarded windows.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb