May 21 Kirkridge Shelter, PA to Delaware Water Gap, PA 6.4 miles


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not a bad night in the shelter. The temp only dropped to the high 50s and my bag worked ok. We were up by 6AM and on the trail by 7AM. No oatmeal to cook just bars and crackers. The last miles to town were almost the best we've done in PA. The trail wasn't all rocky and went through some very beautiful gullies with rhodie thickets streams and a real nice waterfall.

The weather was clear and by the time we hit the bottom of the mountain it was in the mid 60s. We arrived at the hostel and the door was locked. We walked around the building to the church office where we found the pastor. She welcomed us, gave us the tour and we settled in. Randy(aka Highwayman) had left his pack by the door but was nowhere to be seen. We figured he had gone for food somewhere. He showed up a few minutes later just coming back from the diner. We had our showers then changed into our town cloths and headed for lunch.

There is a Pie place here that does meals also so we stopped in there for chow. Blackbean burgers and an ice cream cone! Back to the hostel for some well deserved relaxation. There is a good collection of books so we both found what we liked and settled in. Supper was a huge salad at the diner. Back to those good books until almost 11PM then lights out.

Both boxes for our resupply and my warmer sleeping bag had arrived in the Post Office. I had retrieved them before showering. The hostel is under an old church and is not heated. The temp hovered around 60 degrees and the new bag did the job of keeping me comfortable quite well. My light bag will be sent home and I'll finish out the year with my intermediate bag. It is a fiber filled one where one side is rated for 20 degrees and the other is rated at 40. You just put the appropriate side up for the current temp. Taking tomorrow off to rest, do laundry and some maintenance on our gear like air out CC's sleeping bag and the tent.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost


Advertisement



Tot: 0.473s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.3771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb