May 15 Eagles Nest Shelter PA to Windsor Furnace Shelter, PA 14.7 miles


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We managed to get some sleep last night as the snoring wasn't that bad. It was better than being out in the thunder storm that rolled through until about 2AM. We had two real early risers out and packing up around 5:20AM, we managed to stay in the sack until 6:15. Cold breakfast and hot drinks then pack up and ruck up! The rain had quit the mist was thick, the trail wet and Lady Slipper flowers in bloom, what a day for a walk.

8.6 miles into town for re-supply was the main task today. The rain had torn up my boot insoles and I needed replacements, CC needed to replace her drinking bag. Town will be a welcome sight. Going into town there were dozens of Lady Slipper flowers blooming, we looked for the rare yellow ones but only the violet flowers were to be seen. We made great time and most of our wet clothing had dried, temp was getting close to 70. The descent into Port Clinton, PA had to be one of the steepest yet. One slip and it would have been a quick trip to the bottom.

We made town in 4.5 hours and it was close to lunch time when we walked across the train bridge into town. We were fairly sure the Post Office was closed for lunch so off to the outfitters. $50 dollars and a couple of ice cream bars later we headed out to the Post Office to wait out the hour and a half lunch break. While waiting I fit the new insoles and laid out what few things that might be damp to dry in the sun. The heavy sleeping bag also came out ready for the mailbox for home.

The Postmaster came back a bit early and started talking to us and we were able to do all our re-supply and mailing home even before his lunch break was over. Some days you get lucky or here on the trail "you get a little trail magic."

Back on the trail by 2PM for the 4.1 miles to the shelter. The climb out of the valley in feet was the same as the descent. The grade of steepness was however much less. CC had a heavy load and struggled with the weight and the 78 degrees of beautiful day. We met a couple day hiking and they walked with us for about an hour asking questions about the AT. Soon enough the shelter sign came into view and we pulled off the trail for the day. 14.7 miles in 9.25 hours including a 1.5 hour re-supply stop. Nice to have one of our own meals for supper. Everything is reorganized in our packs, the sun is gone and the peeper frogs are singing my bedtime song.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

Advertisement



Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.3098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb