Harrisburg & Amish Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania
September 13th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Family PictureFamily PictureFamily Picture

Standing in front of an Amish Farm House. This farm was surrounded by a shopping mall, so we did not stay.
We spent a couple of days in Harrisburg visiting daughter, Melanie, grandsons Eli and Nick (and Eli's girlfriend). It has been awhile since we have seen this little branch of our family, so we were happy to see them and catch up. It's amazing that Nick and Eli are all grown up! Where does the time go? We had some good family time and then went out to Lancaster County to see the Amish country. I was a little disappointed because it is so commercial. It seems strange that a McDonalds is across the road from an Amish farm. There is a "farm" set up for tourists - unoccupied, of course. The tour guide was very good at helping us better understand the culture and lifestyle. They are a group of people who want more than anything to just be left alone. They know tourism is here to stay and, in fact, they sell some of their wares in the shops. It just seems sad in a way that they can't live the quiet life they want for themselves. We were very careful about taking pictures, so I've only included a few.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Amish FarmAmish Farm
Amish Farm

Originally built in 1840 with additional buildings added over time to create a village
Example of Amish School HouseExample of Amish School House
Example of Amish School House

Family on steps of schoolhouse
ClassroomClassroom
Classroom

Notice the desk sizes from front to back. Amish children had to complete the 8th grade to comply with state laws.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb