Live8 Philadelphia


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

LIVE8 PHILADELPHIA




These concerts are the start point for The Long Walk To Justice, the one way we can all make our voices heard in unison.

This is without doubt a moment in history where ordinary people can grasp the chance to achieve something truly monumental and demand from the 8 world leaders at G8 an end to poverty.

The G8 leaders have it within their power to alter history. They will only have the will to do so if tens of thousands of people show them that enough is enough.

By doubling aid, fully cancelling debt, and delivering trade justice for Africa, the G8 could change the future for millions of men, women and children." Bob Geldolf




Bob and friends have proven without question that people will gather in mass quantities to attend free concerts featuring music performed by popular bands. The uniting of music lovers worldwide offers no answer, let alone cure, to third-world povery. The answer lies in the hands of the citizens of those destitute nations.

Walking around the Parkway prior to the start of the concert, there was a almost carnival like atmosphere, with vendors lined along the street selling various types of delicious food and drink. The capitalist spirit was alive and kicking on the Parkway. One could purchase a range of Live8 souvenirs from the "official" T-shirts for $20 to CD's containing music from the artists performing at Philly Live8 ($5). The only people who believe profits from these sales went to reducing debt in Africa are those who prefer fantasy over the truth.

The city of Philadelphia should be given an award for putting together a well organized event on the Parkway. The city really stepped up to the plate and delivered with this concert. It was a perfect day to spend listening to good music and enjoying some delicious food, too bad the entire point of it was to make the audience feel guilty over African poverty.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Scoring a Point?Scoring a Point?
Scoring a Point?

Not sure what he was blathering on about. I wouldn't have stopped if he weren't so cute in his righteous indignation :)


12th July 2005

Hey Tania.. Fancy seeing you here... Hope all is well with you in the city of brotherly-luv andhope you and friend recovered nicely from the Live 8 concert.. Thanks for sharing your experience
4th April 2006

It was too bad I missed you there..but I shared your same feeling...I stop feeling bad about poverty as fast as you can drink a coke!! it was a great music event though!!

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb