Our First Very Long Day


Advertisement
Published: October 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Constitution HallConstitution HallConstitution Hall

Philadelphia, PA
First of all, I call this trip "Mothers and Daughters Respite in Scotland" because I am travelling with my daughter, Sara, her friend, Helen, and Helen's mother, Faye. We all need a respite from something, whether it is family trials, work problems, health difficulties, or something else. So this trip is a respite, a relief, as well as an opportunity to cross a few things off our respective bucket lists.



So we started this day quite early, up by 3:30 am and at the airport by 5:30 for a 7:10 flight to Philadelphia. Unfortunately we were stuck with a 12 hour layover in the city of brotherly love. So, we decided, this was our time for a little history lesson. Upon deplaning, we got an Uber to take us into the old city, starting at Constitution Hall. This is where the Declaration of Independence was signed, as well as where the Constitution was written and ratified 11 years later. We stopped by the Liberty Bell afterwards. Apparently, contrary to what the song said, Davy Crockett did not patch up the crack in it.



After lunch we visited the Benjamin Franklin museum, post office (the oldest
Constitution HallConstitution HallConstitution Hall

Philadelphia
working PO in the US,) and a recreation of Ben Franklin's printing shop.



From there we traipsed to Betsy Ross' home, but it seemed more touristy than informative, so we passed it by and went to a pub for supper before Ubering back to the airport for our flight to Edinburgh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Constitution HallConstitution Hall
Constitution Hall

This is the room where the US Constitution was written and ratified. The chair up on the dais was George Washington's chair.
Liberty BellLiberty Bell
Liberty Bell

still cracked
PhiladelphiaPhiladelphia
Philadelphia

Row houses built in 1700's and still occupied (not original occupants.)


7th October 2019

Bad start
The first blog I read you were already in Scotland, glad you made it, but it was great seeing all the history of Philadelphia!!!!
8th October 2019

Long day...
Glad you made it...with a side trip to Philly! Love seeing the pictures...we love our trip a few years ago with Pat & Jim. Love you entries...have Fun!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb