Streets of Philadelphia


Advertisement
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

hi all,

Wow...its amazing!!Isnt it how u feel when u have a truly wonderful weekend and some nice time with ur
friends??This is exactly how it was for me this weekend!!

Destination this time was Philadelphia-Home to History of United States of America.We have been planning for this for last whole week,in a sense it was very well planned.We searched the net extensively to chart out a perfect programme for this one day sightseeing.

We first booked a Cab to take us to Wilmington Station.We hit the road quiet early i.e 7.15 am from
our apts and reached Wilmington by 7.45.The ticket wondow opened at 8.00 sharp.After booking the return tickets to 30th Steert of Phili (as they call it here).Wilmington has a nice little train station that
resembles its appearnce to those filmed in David Dhawan films like Deewana-Mastana,Hero no 1 and many more.The small 2 compartments train arrieved dot on time at 8.30 and departed at 8.40.We got ourselves a nice window sits to have a wonderful hour long ride..Very very less noof people use public transport here as most of them have their own cars.Thats the reason why their size is small compared to what we have back home.It has lovely interiors something which iam sure can match those of Rajdhani Express.

After approx an hour we got off at 30th street station.30th street is one of the most beautiful railway ststion i have seen so far in London and US.It can match in beauty and size with that of the Grand
central of London and NYC.Awsome..just awsome!!After taking some good snaps on the background of it we came out on the STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA.After walking in a wrong way for a while we finallly hit the right path to the heart of Phili.central Phili is very much like NYC..in every aspect..expect that its much more clean than NYC..Skyscrappers,wide roads,colourgul people..it was a joy to walk on the roads!!

We on the way found Subway-best food chain shop that suits our tastes here and treated ourselves to some spicy veggie Delite and a soda (i.e soft drink)After a stomuchful breakfast we head towards Independence Square.Independance Square houses the old Phili ie the place where they began their revolution for Independance back in 18th century..It has many historic monuments there like the Liberty Bail,The Old House of Senate,First bank of US govt,Washington Square which stands as a memorial to those who sacrificed their lives for the freedom of this country.This is the place where Declaration of
independance was read out for the first time to general public by Thomas Jefferson,their 1st President.The surroundings take u back to 18th century..the horse rides with cops and vigil officers
displaying clothes dating back to that time..It took us good 3 hours to finish up with Independance Square.

From thereon we marched towards Penn's Landing,the marine front of Phili.Penn's landing offers you with some picturesque beauty along with some of the wonderful pieces of architecture.Museum of war
ships,The Columbus Monument,Delaware Bridge..its this pace where they have exhibited some of the famous war ships and submarines that helped US win the 2nd world war.Along the waterfront on the wooden recks,there is no better place to relax and enjoy the scenary there.After relaxing for a while and we resumed our journey towards the Vietnam War Memorial..one of the very few wars where US got a beating!!We paid our homege to those who died and moved ahead towards independance Square again..God that place is truly historic!!

We kept on walking,hopping on and off the SEPTA i.e their regional commuter service(something similer to BEST)and reached a place called CHINA TOWN.The only thing to watch ther was The Friendship Gate.its a huge gate at the entrace of China Town which symbolizes goodwil and friendship across the citizens of the world.We moved in a couple of shops there but cud not stand the bad air therein.It was similier to dead rat..yuk!!that was worst!It was almost 5 pm now and we were dot on time to watch the Philadelphia Museum of Art area.

Its amazing!!this place gives u an idea as to how planned this city is!!A wide road with 8 tracks to and
fro,a wonderful fountain in the middle.Museum of art at the background,this is the best block in entire
Phili..Check this out in my snaps..It reminded me of the trafalgour Square of London..We saw people coming there to have their wedding snaps at the museum.We had 3 couples y'day.Wow.it was a wonderful sight to watch!!The bride and groom with their best man,family and friends.the Photographer making all the arrangements for a perfect wedding photo..I cant help but imagine me and you in there.Ohh wow...it was romantic,wasn't it??

Soon after relaxing in that serene place we were on our way back to 30th street station.It was the same way which we walked in the morning.As we walk,i remember all the fun that we had thruout the day.It
was a happy feeling.First trip that we managed on our own entirely,right from inception.And it was amazing!!

We reached the 30th station by 6.30 pm.I was quiet hungry by this time and of course, it was in morning that i had ate.It was a pleasant surprise to find an Indian lady at the Baskin & Robbins Ice cream parlour.She was from bombay.Even she was happy to see us.It was nice to talk in Hindi with someone there after a while here.I had a feast on Coffie Ice cream for just 1.80 bucks.We then wondered a while on the station and got back just in time for our 7.30 pm train back to Wilmington.the hour long joureney flew away so fast that we never realised when we were at the Wilmington.

We came out and caught a cab to reach our apts.It was dot 9.00 pm that we were at the reception of
Korman Communities.It was a pleasure to have a such a wonderful trip.We later visited the web and realized that we had covered almost all of the places worth visit in Phili.Back in the apts,my colleague Kamlesh cooked for us some nice aloo ka paratha for dinner.We grabbed a quick bite on that delicious food and crashed on bed for some nice sleep.

Next day i.e today i got up at 11.00 to Kamlesh's call.It was raining..rather drizzleing..How romantic!!we had several rounds of tea till the late afternoon.It was quiet relaxing.I dont why but i never felt relexed the way i felt today morning..may b b'use we had a nice ride y'day+all is going fine at work..i have visited the places that i had dreams to visit in my life..i never have imagined this to happen in my life.

All the things happened in last couple of months surpassed my memory.I lost my job..i got a new
one..then london..from thereon to US..and of course i got the best gift life cud have offered me...I got YOU...I thanked God in my mind for showering me with all his blessings..and prayed for some good time for all of us.Amen!!

later in the evening we had dinner with our unit head who flewed in from london this afternoon.It was a
unofficial meeting.i had a nice chicken sandwich and a pepsi.After exchanging the pleasantries we bid goodbye to BOSS at his left for the hotel Hilton and came back to apts at 11.00 pm.its now 11.45 pm and iam going now to sleep...it was 6th wekend.and how nice it was??

hope i have remaining weekends like this!!

luv you
sachin


Advertisement



8th March 2008

philly
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Philadelphia! I go to college there, I love it.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb