Gettysburg, Pennsylvania


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Gettysburg
August 30th 2016
Published: August 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

The GeorgesThe GeorgesThe Georges

Morning view of sun rise off our balcony.
Hi guys,

Before leaving Lexington, we did one last walk around this lovely village. We wanted to see the Robert E Lee Chapel and his last home and the Stonewall Jackson cemetery. During this trip we learned that after the war, Robert E Lee accepted an offer from Washington University to be its new president. He moved on the campus, which is adjacent to VMI, and organized the construction of its first chapel. His office was there and now he is buried there. Of course, they renamed the university to Washington & Lee.

Next we started our drive to Gettysburg. Once again, Jackie was in charge of locating nearby wineries. She chose the Blenheim Vineyard. It is not too far off our route so we took a detour over. Can you guess the name of the winery adjacent to Blenheim? Yep, The Trump Winery! There were others as well. We passed the Jefferson Vineyard and the James Monroe home place.

We could not resist and checked it out. We were impressed. The country-side around the vineyard is rolling and covered with vines. The tasting room was nice but not overdone, surprisingly. And the wines we tasted were good.
The GeorgesThe GeorgesThe Georges

Our room #9. Also my lucky number. Reserve this great room if you ever visit.
We purchased two bottles, one that we will wait until the election to pop the cork. Either way, we will pop it.

After this detour we headed on up to Gettysburg. Before checking in the hotel, we went directly to the Gettysburg National Military Park. We were able to tour the museum, watch the video and experience the cyclorama. We picked up enough brochures to help us tomorrow morning to make a tour of the battlefields.

Our dinner was also an interesting experience. We ate at Sidney at Willoughby Run. It was located near Lee's headquarters. Once again the food was good and our outdoor seating on the patio was relaxing.

Tomorrow we tour first then drive up to NYC for some tennis watching.

Cheers,

Tom


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Road to James Monroe's homeRoad to James Monroe's home
Road to James Monroe's home

Not far from Trump's place.
Trump WineryTrump Winery
Trump Winery

View to the grape vines.
Trump WineryTrump Winery
Trump Winery

Those committed to vote Trump were to sit here. Jackie looks lonely.


1st September 2016

You're On A Roll!!
Sounds like you're continuing to have a great trip. What can go wrong when you visit a winery every day?! :-)

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb