On to California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
July 8th 2005
Published: July 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

This will be a short entry. The day was for the most part rainy and we had to make it all the way to Crescent City, CA for the weekend. The day started out cool and cloudy and we made our way to the Oregon Dunes Scenic Overlook. The Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area stretches for 40 miles from Florence to North Bend. The overlook is at the northern end between Florence & Reedsport. The Oregon dunes are the largest expanse of coastal dunes in North America.

There was a National Forest Service ranger at the overlook and while talking to him, we found out that we could drive on the dunes in our SUV for a $10 fee. He showed us where to go, Winchester Bay, and we planned on driving out on the dunes later for a picnic lunch. He also told us that many folks use cardboard or snowboards to go sliding down the dunes. We had neither with us so the kids just had a blast rolling down the dunes, getting sand in every pocket, shoe, and orfice in the process. I had hoped to hike the dunes a bit but the rain started picking up and we just sat and watched the kids play until they had enough and we continued on our way.

In Reedsport, we veered east to Dean Creak Elk Viewing Area and watched a few dozen elk just hanging out in the meadow. We had a hard time convincing William that they were elk and not deer. I snapped a few pictures until the rain came down harder and we took off. The rain was coming down hard enough now that we decided to skip the 4-wheeling on the dunes.

Coming up on Bandon, we stopped at Bullard Beach State Park. One of our guide books indicated that the beaches here were worth stopping at, and there was a lighthouse. No one was interested in getting out in the rain and checking out the beach, so we drove by the lighthouse, I found a couple geocaches and we continued into Bandon. We stopped once again at a beach there and Thomas & I got out to throw rock & sticks in the ocean. There we saw a surfer catching a few waves and Thomas found a seal swimming about 50 yards out. It didn't stay surfaced for long before it'd dive back down and I only got the one bad picture below. Katie later joined us and she got to see the seal as well.

On the road again, we slowly made our way south, stopping at a beach or wayside here and there, until we reached Crescent City. The first thing I noticed was the price of gas...$2.74/gallon, the highest we saw on our trip. Luckily I never needed to fill up in California.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



30th July 2005

Better Late Than Never
Okay, you have been home for a couple of weeks and I have finally had the chance to review your journal. It was great . . . especially the photos. I'm glad you had a good time.
1st August 2005

That's OK
We're still not done typing it up! Pat

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb