Off the train and on the road


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
July 4th 2018
Published: July 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

No wifi on the train, so this is the first time we've been able to update. The Amtrak from Milwaukee to Portland was a great experience--we loved every minute of it. We had a fabulous little sleeping room, the food was great, and we met a lot of nice people including a sweet young Amish couple on their honeymoon. We could not get enough of looking out the windows for hours at a time. Who knew Montana was so gorgeous???? Well, probably a lot of people. But it was a surprise for us.

Ned III was waiting at the train station, and we've been spending such good time with him. Yesterday we went to the ocean, visited some lovely little seaside towns, and Max n I hiked at a wildlife refuge. I've taken a ton of photos, but I can't get any of my CC programs to run, so I'm trying other ways to edit before posting. (I shoot in RAW, so files are way too big to post until they've been edited and resized.)



We really lucked out on our first Airbnb experience. We're at a small farm in Salem, OR, with horses, gorgeous birds, meadows, wild raspberries, and the nicest hosts, Jay and Cynthia. She is an artist, and she let me tour her studio. Check out her work at www.cynthiaherron.com. Jay is a machinist, and he and Max spent hours in his shop.

One glitch in the trip--a big one, but we are handling it just fine. The company we hired to transport the Corvette never picked it up, so we have rented a car to drive home. Max is surprisingly okay about it, and I am just a teeny bit relieved because the Vette is fun and gorgeous and sexy, but it is not a luxury vehicle designed for comfort.

Photos to follow!

J

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb