We Wait


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
January 3rd 2010
Published: January 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

January 3, 2010

In 2010 we are on a quest for more. More knowledge, more detail, more depth, more truth. And we must mention, fewer "things".

Yes, 2010 will be the year to divest of what is tangible and embark on a journey worth more to our persons and our souls than the multitude of designer jeans we have managed to accumulate over the past few years. This is the year that together, Adam and I will start our married life by leaving the comfort of our suburban, all-American, tri-level home, the security of corporate paychecks that come as regularly as rain does in Portland, and perhaps most difficultly, the adorable tail wagging booty shake of our beloved mutt, Paco.

2010 is the year that we will get lost in the world, with hopes of finding ourselves.

Adam and I have come to the conclusion that there has to be more to life than being comfortable. More than being safe. More than being secure. More than working hard for the end goal of accumulation. This might sound weird, but at least at this stage in our life, my husband and I, we kind of want to be uncomfortable. We want to accumulate memories, friendships, and knowledge. Not things. We want to be stretched. To be put in weird and new and hard and beautiful situations we couldn't have expected or dreamed of. We want to meet new people, eat new foods, and see new things. We want to worship differently, sleep differently, speak differently, spend our time differently. And maybe, hopefully, in all this learning and growing and developing we are doing individually and together, just maybe we will be a blessing and example to the people we encounter along the way as well. Help others to see things with a new set of eyes, as we will most certainly begin to do.

Which brings me to where shall we go, and what shall we do? And the answer to that is yet unknown... We plan to embark this summer, and until then, we will prayerfully and patiently wait for divine prompting regarding locale. We are clay in the potters hand, surfers riding the Lord's wave, if you will. But Dear God, we wouldn't mind teaching snowboarding in New Zealand, teaching English in Asia, catching some rays and having a cold one on the white sands of somewhere, and having a damn good time doing it all. Please take this into consideration as you write the story of our lives. Until then, we shall enjoy the gift of the present, here in Portland, in preparation for the next journey.

By this summer we hope to know our first "assignment". Until then, we wait.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb