Ginger Chicken


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
April 28th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ginger looked around nervously. She didn't like this darkness constantly, so she continued chirping in protest. It would nothing for his plight quite yet, as he and his 4 sisters sharing the little depressing cardboard box in the basement. These last two weeks had been trying, with their box being moved to new parts of the house on an almost daily basis. Such changes are quite hard to deal with when all you want to is food and water and a bright place.....

Being a chicken, that is a chick, Ginger spent her day running around her box doing various things to bide time. Nibbling on the feed left by their curious owner was one of her favorite pastimes, though sometimes things got out of hand and Kibi, the largest sister, began pecking at her she really had no where to run. But after all the tough times, every night they could all huddle together, their differences absolved, and be warm as one body. So their lives rolled onwards in this odd-boxed existence for two weeks and no sign of change. Until one day, the owner came down as usual in order to grab Ginger or a sister and pet them as they shook in fright at the magnitude of their captors.

These captors changed things finally. Joining the owner were two new fellows who would change Ginger and her comrade's anguish to a sunny day. Suddenly ripped from their dark basement and thrown into the brightness of the day. Ginger found herself on firm terrain, with grass before her and some more space to play. She adjusted slowly to her new surroundings but after being coaxed out with some food and even later on worms, she enjoyed her new little pad with her sisters. She felt paradise could be no more welcoming of a place than this little patch of grass surrounded by some turned over chairs, large pots, and old fencing.

Paradise was just a transition it seems. While Ginger enjoyed the noon day warmth, she noticed her captors pulling along a big box, slowly, and quite painstakingly to a corner of the yard outside her current home. She knew something must be amiss as the owners were deliberating much on the side, and often pointing at her crew. Finally with the box erect, it moved no more. Ginger watched as the owners with loud tools
My host's face once more, KathyMy host's face once more, KathyMy host's face once more, Kathy

and quote "my son's best side..."
shaped it together into a sort of enclosed box. This was to be her fate.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb