Alaska to Seattle


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
July 19th 2007
Published: July 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Last time we posted we were on our way back to Denali National Park. We spent two great nights in a cozy cabin just outside the park. We explored Denali and unfortunately, due to inclement weather, we were not able to see Mt. McKinley. Chances of seeing the mountain are pretty low because the mountain is so huge it actually creates its own weather patterns and is typically clouded over with fog. After that we chugged our way 2,700 miles from Denali to Seattle. To date we have logged 7,600 miles and have enjoyed every mile of it. We drove the whole Cassiar Highway from Alaska to Seattle (through British Columbia). It was a “highway” in the loosest sense of the word. The travel was slow and the road frequently went from asphalt to patchy gravel. The remoteness of the road did make it prime habitat for animals. We were lucky enough to spot a gigantic blonde black bear. Apparently, black bears are referred to as American Bears and can be black, brown or blonde. The blonde coloring of the bear was so unique and we felt really lucky to have seen it. It took us four days to drive the whole way and we arrived in Bellingham Washington on the 12th of July. We stayed in an amazing State Park (Larabee State Park) right on the water. The following day, we ventured to Sea-Tac airport to pick up my dad. After picking him up we headed back up to Bellingham and stayed three nights in a hotel while Chong was boarded at Bellingham Bed and Biscuit (seriously that’s the name). From Bellingham we day tripped to vivacious Vancouver and super Seattle. We watched a Mariners game at Safeco Field and toured the downtowns of both cities. We picked Chong back up on July 16th and headed to Mount Rainier National Park, where we camped for a night. We our now just north of Portland in a dog friendly hotel and just finished a day trip to Portland where we toured the downtown and went to Body Worlds 3. From here we’re heading to the coast and going to drive route 101 down the Oregon coast. We hope to get in to northern California and see the Redwoods and then drive up back into Oregon and have my dad take a train from Eugene to Seattle for his return flight on the 23rd of July. From Eugene, Lisa and I will make our way back to the Mile High City!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



20th July 2007

Thanks for the update
Looks like some great vistas and great times and Chong still looks content, but I bet you are getting a little road weary.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb