Two Day Blog - Heading East - Now Just South of Bend, OR.... Lava Everywhere-Now 8110 Miles Since Leaving Clayton


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » La Pine
August 12th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

August 11, 2013 - Sunday

Watched part of the GBC live streaming in the trailer and then the rest of it in the truck on the way – until we lost the internet in the Coastal Mountain Range. On the way to LaPine SP; it was 57 degrees when we left Newport at 8:30 a.m.

The weather changed drastically when we left the Coastal Range and got into the Cascade Mtn. Range. Blue skies, puffy, white clouds and a bit higher temperature. The high was only 74 for the day though. Out came the short sleeves!

Made a stop in Sisters, Oregon to experience this quaint, busy town and to view ‘The Sisters’, large lava mountains all standing close together – just like sisters would do. They were covered in snow. In the town there were lots of wood and metal galleries and everyone was very, very friendly. It was a lovely place to visit. Then we headed to LaPine SP, about 45 miles down the road. Beautiful park with majestic trees of Spruce and Hemlock, and here are the Ponderosa Pines again – more awesomeness! And lots of Golden Mantled squirrels to greet us when we arrived, about 4:30 p.m.

August 12, 2013 - Monday

Spent a lazy morning around the camp site, having fun sitting out and feeding the Golden Mantle squirrels. They’re half again as big as a chipmunk, look a lot like a chipmunk, but have a white ring around their eyes and no black stripe by their cheeks. They wanted the chips so badly one of them climbed up on Will. Where was the camera? Took a walk around the park and down to the Deschutes river that flows by the park, just beautiful.

After lunch we went to check out the oldest and largest living Ponderosa Pine. It really IS huge, with lots of bumps and scars all over it. That alone makes it look old.

Another walk around the park before bed. High temperature today – 76, but 86 predicted for tomorrow. Uh oh, here comes the heat! Our next stop in Idaho is predicted to be in the 90’s. We’ll really be wishing for Newport again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



13th August 2013

Food
I can not believe that Will looks so "skinny", after all the eating reports we read about. Marge, too, no weight gain. What a trip & oh, what added stories to tell, will we be able to hear. I finally saw a bob cat racing across the edge of the condo property, this noon time, Ga. wild life right here in our own back yd.
13th August 2013

What a change, long sleaves to short. We are still wearing jackest here. Have a safe trip home. Heading south on the 1st to San Francisco.
13th August 2013

Wonderful!
What a wonderful trip you guys are on. Sisters looks like the kind of town I love to visit. I know you have visited many towns like these along the way. I have on occasion, while taking the backroads, see a this kind of town and look for the general store or cafe. Time to stop for a cup of coffee and talk with the locals. Great memories. 73 and safe travels. A cool 97/feels like 103 here in Texas today.
16th August 2013

Sisters!
Like em...named for us? heehee...right. I think we're about that old... Love seeing your "site." Elegant outdoor dining... Squirrel pics, please!!!

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb