Amarillo to Tulsa with the Cadillac Ranch


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Tulsa
October 23rd 2012
Published: October 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So good morning! It's Cadillac Ranch time! We're ready to leave the Ambassador - good for sleeping, no need to linger!

We jump in the car and head down I-40 to somewhere between exits 60 and 62. We get off at 62 and are totally confused - we pulled into the RV Park and Asshole ran in to get directions - yes, to get directions! And it's a good thing - Sweetie would have taken us back onto I-40 into oncoming traffic. Take your time here - it is confusing and goes from two (2) way to one (1) way and is just weird!

Cadillac Ranch... what can we say - look at the pics and make your decision. We got a good laugh but honestly, there is a commitment to art there. The installation we saw was the second - it was moved there from it's original location. Believe it or not, it's almost lunch - we were a little late leaving the Ambassador.

I'm not quite sure when the signs started but we have been aware of the Big Texan for over a day. What the heck - let's go and have lunch! Good choice - completely kitschy and pretty darn good. We both order the lunch ribeye (9 oz.) and it's really good. Kitschy is right with Voltar the Fortune Teller and the Singing Cowboy. The dining room has over 30 heads of deer, elk, buffalo, and moose. If you order the 72 oz. steak and eat it within an hour, it's free. I love this place!!

Onward we push, toward Oklahoma City and ultimately Tulsa on I-40. From the Interstate we spot the largest cross in the western hemisphere at 190 feet tall, outside of Groom, Texas. We stop at a couple of Route 66 spots, first in Shamrock Texas, the U Drop Inn and across the street Big Vern's Steakhouse. Next, we stop for gas in Sayre, Texas, where we spot the Owl Pharmacy and the Beckham County Courthouse which has an appearance in the film 'Grapes of Wrath'. Traveling on Route 66 can be somewhat depressing with all the decay and desolence it has left behind, but you really can find some jewels. We make our time on the superslabs and pull off on 66 with help from the Route 66 Adventure Book.

Not much else to report this day after we roll into Tulsa around dusk. Share an entree and salad at Zio's Italian Kitchen, and make it an early bedtime. More to come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb